PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice

Ian James Webster
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Good morning all.

I have an opportunuty to purchase an older Powermatic 3520 (not the B) locally for $1,600. From the photos and description it appears to be in excellent condition other than missing the knock out bar and live center.

Do you think this is a good price? What are the differences between the 3520 and the 3520B?

Thank you all for any advice / comments.

Ian

Tim Rinehart
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Grab it! Banjo slightly different, index holes not on A model I think and tailstock just a tad different with little door, I think are only difference...most functionality you'll need is still there and that is a very good price, IMO!

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Only other difference that I am aware of is that the 'B' model has a digital rpm readout.... the 'A' model does not.

Reed Gray
01-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Speed ranges on the A are true 0 to 1500 on the low speed range, and 0 to 3000 on the A model. On the B, it is 50 to 1200, and 50 to 3200 (I think). The B has electronic speed read out. I used the 0 to 50 speed range for sanding. It was changed because 'your motor will over heat and you will fry your electronics'. Well, I sanded out thousands of bowls at those speeds, and never had any problems. With my Robust, I had the speed range minimum lowered so I could do that. It runs cooler than when I am turning. No problem.

The early A models had a cast iron pressure plate under the headstock, which if this one has it, it should be replaced. I snapped mine while coring some black locust.

It is an excellent lathe, and at that price I would consider it to be a good deal. Get it if it isn't already gone.

robo hippy

Ian James Webster
01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you all - I'l give the guy a call at lunchtime - with the view of collecting te lathe at the weekend (it's about a 4 hour drive from me - still 'local' in the grand scheme of things!!)

Ian James Webster
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I just learned that the lathe is a 3520 not a 3520A - does this make any difference?

Baxter Smith
01-19-2012, 1:14 PM
Funny you should say that. I just spent 10 minutes searching to try and find out the differences but gave up. I picked up a used A about a year and a half ago. At the time, I found something on the web that described the differences between the three versions while reading about the original designer(Rude Osolnik). The A has a readout on the back side that although not rpm, you can convert to rpm with a table. I never bother to look when turning. The original may lack even that but I can't remember for sure. My A has a date of 2003/03 on the motor. The slowest I can go is 48rpm. Perhaps the lowest speed was changed even before they went to the B. Mine was not in pristine condition on the outside, but I have not had a bit of trouble with it, and have used it a lot(for a hobby turner). Paid 1700. That included a Oneway live center, coring system, bowl steady, stronghold chuck and a couple of toolrests.

Ian James Webster
01-19-2012, 1:35 PM
Thank you Baxter - I had the same problem trying to find info on the 3520! I'll try emailing Powermatic themselves.

Dale Miner
01-19-2012, 2:47 PM
I believe the legs on the 3520 do not have as much spread as the A or the B model, and the tool post is either 1.125" or 1.25" instead of the 1.00" of the A and B models. I know a fellow that has the more narrow spread legs, and he bolted an oak 3"x 3" to the legs to increase the spread. An easy worthwhile project.

I think the 3520 has a Baldor motor instead of the now supplied asian origin motor.

Reed Gray
01-19-2012, 8:42 PM
I don't know if mine was an A or not. It did have a small electric fan on the back under the converter, to keep it cool. They didn't have them too long. I got it just about the time PM sold out to WMH tool group, or whatever their name is. I did call PM to ask a few questions about it, and actually got to talk to PM employees, who knew the tool,and even used it.

robo hippy

Donny Lawson
01-19-2012, 9:04 PM
I think it would make a great lathe. I also think $1500.00 would bring it home., or try offering $1400.00 since there is a few pieces missing. That would pay your gas bill.