PDA

View Full Version : Which band saw book?

Chris Harper
01-19-2012, 11:16 AM
I bought a 1940's era Shopmaster band saw I want to tune up.

I found two band saw books marked down on shopwoodworking.com and am curious to know if one is better than the other or if there is another book entirely that I should be getting? The two I found are:

New Complete Guide to the Band Saw - Mark Duginske

and

Taunton's Complete Illustrateed Guide to Bandsaws - Roland Johnson

Tom Walz
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Get the free catalog from Iturra Design.
904 642-2802
kalll@comcast.net

This is an incredible catalog. History, how to rebuild machines, spare parts.

244 pages of incredible information.

48 pages of reviews of bandsaw books.

Van Huskey
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I have both the books including Lonnie Bird's, the Duginski book is the one I like the best, Amazon has it for less than $14.

PS Mark also has a DVD which is excellent if you are a visual learner.

Neil Brooks
01-19-2012, 12:32 PM
'nother vote for the Duginske book. I bought mine from an online used book seller, for about four bucks.

Stephen Cherry
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
You may also want to check your local library. Around me the library has several bandsaw books, and maybe a video or two.

Also, if you're on a tight budget, amazon has used books for super cheap prices (usually). That's how I usually buy, when available.

I've given up on depreciation, tried it, didn't like it.

Kent A Bathurst
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Get the free catalog from Iturra Design. This is an incredible catalog. History, how to rebuild machines, spare parts.

Yup

'nother vote for the Duginske book.

Yup again.

Jim Rimmer
01-19-2012, 4:34 PM
'nother vote for the Duginske book. I bought mine from an online used book seller, for about four bucks.

Nother vote for Duginski

Van Huskey
01-19-2012, 8:15 PM
One thing I thought I would mention is bandsaw "science" is more like a "religion" with less fully accepted conventional wisdom than a lot of the other machines in the shop. For example Micheal Fortune, Mark Duginski, Jim Cummins, Lonnie Byrd and Roland Johnson have all written extensively about "hobby" woodworking bandsaw. They all differ on some salient issues so if you are trying to get into the subject deeply you may want to acquire more than just one book or article.

Loren Woirhaye
01-19-2012, 9:29 PM
Duginske had an older book that was about twice as thick as the later one put out by Taunton. "The Bandsaw Handbook" - I learned a great deal from that book. It has a nifty method for making dovetails, practical advice for resawing and making micro-adjustable jigs, plus really insightful and complete information on correcting manufacturing flaws and tuning saws.

I think Duginske was a sort of endorser or consultant or something for INCA machinery. Since they aren't sold in N. America anymore I think he went over to endorsing Felder machinery. I haven't looked at his recent books but I expect the INCA equipment is absent and replaced by Felder or Agazani.