PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Knife setup

Sammy Shuford
03-16-2005, 12:13 AM
I just got power to my shop, and am now setting up my Grizzly G0500 Jointer. The jig is a joke unless you have microscope eyes.

I set the out feed table even with the first knight. It was within .001 from one side to the other. Rotate the second knife and it was .003 (three thousands) higher than the first. The 3rd was .004 higher, and the 4th was the same as the first.

First, I don’t mind doing what should be done to make this unit right. So now I can ask, what tolerance should I shoot for? Is .004 between the four knifes OK? Or should I adjust them closer.

The owners manual say adjust till they just touch the jig. No specifications.

COMMENTS PLEASE! First Jointer, so I’ve never done this before.

Mark Singer
03-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Sammy,I am kind of basic and empirical about machine set-up. I think .004'is fine....the real test is run a board through and check it...listen to the machine....look at the texture. Run a piece through the planner and check the thickness with a caliper on both edges, now face plane on the jointer and check the thickness with the caliper. If it is still the same along both edges , you are good.

Sammy Shuford
03-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the responce! :) I 'm not (now) going to go crazy setting all four to within .001!

Jim Becker
03-16-2005, 9:03 AM
I agree with Mark. Do some cutting. If you don't get any visible "scalloping" with a slow and steady feed speed, you'll be fine. If you do, try adjusting the highest knife down a skoosh...