PDA

View Full Version : Is a biscuit a biscuit a biscuit??

Brent Romero
01-18-2012, 9:54 PM
I have a really dumb question. Are biscuits sized in a standard way? Meaning is a #20 Dewalt the same as a #20 Ryobi the same as a #20 Porter Cable the same as a #20..........and so on and so on and so on.

Thanks for the help.

Alan Wright
01-18-2012, 9:58 PM
YUP... all the same

shane lyall
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Most are but I bought some no names from ebay a few years ago that were thinner than most. As far as the name brands they are standard for the most part.

Gary Curtis
01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
There is variety, even between different batches from the same company. But for sheer quality and uniformity of fit, nothing comes close to Lamello. So, even if you can't afford the costly machine, buy their biscuits and you are benefitting from their knowhow and great quality control. Lamello of Switzerland invented biscuit joinery.

Matt Day
01-19-2012, 7:49 AM
I wouldn't exactly say so. I bought some cheapies from HF which fit loosely, and the ones I bought from Lee Valley fit like they should - snugly, not loose, not tight. Considering the point of biscuits is for alignment, they have to be snug to do their job.

Neil Brooks
01-19-2012, 8:35 AM
The moisture content may vary, which ... in turn ... would change the fit.

It's pretty important to keep your biscuits from exposure to high humidity levels, partly because ... there's no going back. Even the old "microwave 'em" trick ... won't restore their dry dimension.

I use P-C biscuits, and put them in airtight containers, with desiccant packets (the "DO NOT EAT" drying packets that come in bottles of everything), on arrival.

One day, I'll have a batch of Lamello biscuits AND a Festool T-shirt. Ah, yes. A guy can dream ;)

HANK METZ
01-19-2012, 9:15 AM
Technically yes, although the quality level will vary somewhat. The vital measure is the thickness, with .156 inches (5/32) being the norm. Less that that and alignment accuracy suffers, more, and insertion and mating parts becomes a P.I.A.

- Beachside Hank

Curt Harms
01-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Technically yes, although the quality level will vary somewhat. The vital measure is the thickness, with .156 inches (5/32) being the norm. Less that that and alignment accuracy suffers, more, and insertion and mating parts becomes a P.I.A.

- Beachside Hank

Lamello being Swiss, I'll bet they're really 4 mm. :D But yeah, there seems to be a difference. I use mostly Porter-Cable 'cause the borgs got 'em and they come in jars that reseal well. I've used Lamello with the P-C 557 biscuit joiner and they work very well so I guess the blade on the P-C is the correct size. I've had no-names that were under sized.

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2012, 11:33 AM
As others have indicated, Lamello is the gold standard in biscuits (plates).

Storage is also important, keep them dry.

Biscuits are actually a very precise system, the biscuit has to be exactly the correct size when wetted with glue. This requires quality, consistent stock, dryed and compressed to exactly the correct dimensions.

Not something you want to skimp on................Rod.

Robert Chapman
01-19-2012, 9:09 PM
I've kept my biscuits in Tupperware type containers for years. Pretty airtight and no problems.

Dan Hintz
01-20-2012, 7:16 AM
It's pretty important to keep your biscuits from exposure to high humidity levels, partly because ... there's no going back. Even the old "microwave 'em" trick ... won't restore their dry dimension.
I wonder who first suggested the microwave... it would remove the moisture, but unless that microwave has a compression piston in there, it's certainly not going to change the shape ;)

I think I posted in an earlier thread a suggestion to put a few silica gel packs in with your biscuits to take care of any errant moisture.

Neil Brooks
01-20-2012, 8:13 AM
I wonder who first suggested the microwave...

ISTR that it was a guy named Dave .....

it would remove the moisture, but unless that microwave has a compression piston in there, it's certainly not going to change the shape ;)

You got that right. Been meaning to put a Harbor Freight 20T press in the micro for quite some time, now, though :p

Dan Hintz
01-20-2012, 9:19 AM
Okay, but watch for sparking :p