PDA

View Full Version : Something went well today - my bandsaw!

Mark Ashmeade
01-18-2012, 8:09 PM
I've been pondering my dust collection situation for my "new" shop on the other side of my basement today, thread running in Workshops: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179944-Dust-collection-sticker-shock-and-dilemma

In an attempt to clear my thoughts, I went into the "old" shop, and built a box for my daughter to put her music books in. I need to take it to her on Friday, and so I had to get it together today. Just a largish shoe-box sized box. Half blind dovetails, walnut ends and oak sides. Just what I had on hand. I thought I had some thin plywood for the bottom, but it was ruined when I got it out.

What I did have was a piece of red oak, about 3/4" thick, 12" wide and 2' long. Far too thick for a bottom, but my bandsaw has 12" resaw capacity. I don't have a resaw fence that tall, but what the heck, I'm in a bind, and want to get it done for her. So I gave it a go. Fantastic! No problem at all. Two nice pieces, a little more than 1/4" thick. a couple of passes through the planer, and it's turned out beautifully. The box is now sitting in clamps. A light sand tomorrow, a couple of coats of aerosol poly and we're good.

The saw is a basic Grizzly G0513P, with a 3/4 blade, I think 3 TPI. Just a Grizzly blade, not an expensive one. It, and the saw, worked just fine. The set on the blade gives quite a thick kerf, but it was quite smooth. I might try veneering soon!

Jim Rimmer
01-19-2012, 5:08 PM
Ain't it great when something works out? Post some pictures - sounds like a neat box.

Mark Ashmeade
01-19-2012, 7:07 PM
Thanks Jim!

Here she is. Nothing special at all, but it made me happy.

Van Huskey
01-19-2012, 8:22 PM
To me there in no more satisfying cut than a tall resaw! Great job and hope the piping issues get solved.

Mark Ashmeade
01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks Van!

Looking at the pic and the actual item, I can't help thinking that the sides are aesthetically too thick, but had I resawn the boards I had, they would have been too thin. Leaving the option of planing them down an 1/8th or 3/16th. That just seems like a waste on my planer blades.

Still, it's done now. Off across the pond tomorrow, deliver the box, and all is good. Might do some "day work" while I'm there :)

The pipe job is looking up too!

Neil Brooks
01-19-2012, 10:28 PM
To me there in no more satisfying cut than a tall resaw!

Agreed. Something VERY satisfying about slicing down a nice, long, wide board, and just nailing it !

Thanks Van!

Looking at the pic and the actual item, I can't help thinking that the sides are aesthetically too thick,

I think it looks great. Sometimes, the "simplest" designs and builds have their own brand of elegance.