PDA

View Full Version : Small Finishing Gloat

Nate Davey
01-18-2012, 7:43 PM
After Reeds post about Doctors Woodshop Walnut Finishes and watching the videos I decided to get some. I picked up the Walnut Oil Finish and the Walnut Oil and Wax Finish. I have a cored bowl set to try these out on perhaps tomorrow night.

John Keeton
01-18-2012, 8:50 PM
We expect a full report!!

Jeremy Leasure
01-18-2012, 8:53 PM
I sent an e-mail to the guy who makes these, asking about spotting. Not sure it went through, since it's one of those contact forms and doesn't supply an actual e-mail address. Anyway, the only problem I with the Beal buffing system is the carnuba wax. It looks great, but the tiniest water droplet makes rough feeling spots that have to be buffed out. I see these use a carnuba wax emulsion type thing. Do they spot as well?

David E Keller
01-18-2012, 9:12 PM
Thanks for the post, Nate! I must have missed Reed's post, but I really like the price on this stuff relative to the Mahoney version... I do hope you'll keep us updated!

Jeremy- You might have better luck using something like Renaissance wax as your final topcoat or instead of the carnuba... It's expensive, but a little goes a long, long way.

Nate Davey
01-18-2012, 9:12 PM
John, Yes Sir!

Jeremy, I'll let you know.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Nate I talked with him for some time and ordered some. Have tried it on a ash bowl and so far it is looking pretty good. I do like it and as David said it is cheaper. I also bought the high build friction polish with shellac/walnut oil to see how it will work on smaller projects.