PDA

View Full Version : LV Low Angle Jack

Carl Beckett
01-18-2012, 7:25 PM
Was in a mood recently and just closed my eyes and placed an order. Arrived today. Unpack, wipe it down, tweak a bit, use it. That simple. Perfect shavings.

I made the mistake of attending the Springfield WW show last weekend where they had a booth with everything they make. Took a real liking to that skew block plane...... sighs....... (and saws.. 'need' some more saws....)

Hello, my name is Carl and Im a plane - aholic

Mike Skees
01-18-2012, 9:08 PM
That is indeed a nice plane. I have one also. As for being a plane-aholic, I can completely empathize. I too have gone on a spree down that slippery slope.

Chris Griggs
01-18-2012, 9:18 PM
My friend (yes it's Archie, who else) just got the skew block. It is one of the most comfortable planes I've ever held, even though it has one side open. Perfect size, weight etc... (yes subjective). BTW, even thought he got it to use as a special purpose tool, it has become his go to block plane (over an LN 60 1/2 and about 10-15 vintage blocks). I really didn't expect that to be the case, but its works AWESOME as a go to low angle block!

Joey Chavez
01-18-2012, 9:21 PM
I'm a plane-aholic. It all started with the LV Low Angle Jack for me too. Shortly after came the LV BU Smoother, then the LV LA Jointer, LV LA Block, LV Medium Shoulder, a Keen Kutter No. 6 restore, a Winchester Jack restore in progress. I have everything I need, but the want list keeps growing.

Carl Beckett
01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
My friend (yes it's Archie, who else) just got the skew block. It is one of the most comfortable planes I've ever held, even though it has one side open. Perfect size, weight etc... (yes subjective). BTW, even thought he got it to use as a special purpose tool, it has become his go to block plane (over an LN 60 1/2 and about 10-15 vintage blocks). I really didn't expect that to be the case, but its works AWESOME as a go to low angle block!

Im not sure this is 'helpful' therapy......

Ron Kellison
01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I have the LV Jack, the #4, skew block, medium shoulder and apron plane. I also have a well fettled Record #7 with the LV blade/cap iron and a Stanley 5 1/2 with the same LV plane iron setup. I also have two Muji's that are a treat to use. So why would I need another plane? I dunno...the LV BUS was calling my name and I answered earlier this week. I put a good honing on the A2 iron and my first shavings were full width and less than .001. Sweet! The only one left on my bucket list is the small plow plane. Oh, yeah...the large router plane would probably fit on my plane shelf. Life could definitely be worse!Regards,Ron

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-18-2012, 11:42 PM
OK. If this is admission time, here goes:

Stanley Bailey #6 (gifted from a cabinetmaker mentor who used for 50 years) has new hock blade & breaker,
LV LA Jack (#5)
Clifton #4
LV LA Smoother (#4)
Woodriver V3 #3
LV LA block
LN LA Bronze skew LH
LN Std 103 Bronze
LV large shoulder
Clifton #400 bullnose
LV Large router
LV LA Spokeshave

Oohhhh, I think I've got an addiction ...

Jim Koepke
01-19-2012, 12:43 AM
youse guys is just getting started...

And that still ain't all of 'em.

jtk

Pedro Reyes
01-19-2012, 2:08 AM
Since we are in admission time, let me see if I can remember all while away from home:

Stanley #8, Stanley #7, Stanley #6, Stanley #5-1/2, Stanley #5 x2, Stanley #4 x3, Stanley #3, Stanley 9-1/2,
Stanley 103, Stanley 78, Stanley 60-1/2, Stanley 71, Stanley 79, Stanley 48, Stanley 80 scraper
Stanley spokeshaves, curved, flat and adjustable mouth

Record #50

LN 9-1/2, LN 60-1/2, LN 60-1/2R, LN 95, LN 62, LN 212 scraper, LN 71, LN 271, LN 4-1/2 highly recommend this tool &
LN 140

LV skew rabbet
LV apron plane
LV medium shoulder plane (best tool ever made)

Lesson here is I need more LV planes.

/p

Don Dorn
01-19-2012, 7:15 AM
Stanley #3, 4, 5, 5 1/4, 6, 8
LV LAJ, LA Jointer, side rabbet, large router
LN #102, 60 1/2 Rabbet, 4 1/2, 10 1/4, 48
Record 044, 050, 778

Most Used: 5 1/4, Stanley #8, LN 4 1/2
Almost never use: LV large router, Stanley #6, LV Side Rabbet.

Bryan Schwerer
01-19-2012, 7:53 AM
I started with restoring a stanley #4, then a #5, a #7, then numerous specialty planes. I thought I did a decent job on them. Then I too took advantage of the LV free shipping and bought a LA Jack to be my shooting plane. The one thing it taught me was that I had set all my other planes, especially the #5, up to be smoothers. The LA jack is the only one that can take a thick plane wide shaving when I open up the mouth and lower the blade. It doesn't leave as nice a surface then, but that is what the smoother is for. Now I'm in the process of turning the #5 back into a Jack plane, grinding off the back bevel, setting the frog a bit further back, I'll probably use it as a Jack on the trickier woods to get less tear out, but the LA jack is now my goto plane. I see a BU smoother in my future.

Maurice Ungaro
01-19-2012, 9:35 AM
As I've stated in another forum, we're really a large group of enablers in a co-dependant relationship!

Archie England
01-19-2012, 7:38 PM
Im not sure this is 'helpful' therapy......

Yes, having friends who invest in quality equipment--like a new LV small plow plane--really does put a crunch on one's tools budgeting needs!!!!!! Way to go, Chris! But that LV skew block rabbet is one sweeeettttt plane.

Tom Gigg
01-19-2012, 8:55 PM
Hi, my name is Tom and I also am a plane-aholic

Clifton #4 Smoother
LN Medium Shoulder Plane
LN 601/2 Block

Boggs Spokeshaves (2) - Flat & Curved

LV Planes:
LA Jack, Router Planes(large, small & miniture), Skew Block Plane, Small Plough, Skew Rabbit, Iron Edge-Trimming (large & miniture), Cabinet Scraper

Can someone help !!!!

Jim Neeley
01-19-2012, 9:18 PM
Hi, my name is Tom and I also am a plane-aholic

Can someone help !!!!

Sure... Check out the L-N 4-1/2!! <G>

Down, down, down we go.. Where we stop.. Nobody knows!!