PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to mark tdc on jointer now what?

Gordon Davis
01-18-2012, 6:57 PM
I recently picked up a crusty Grizzly 6" jointer and tore it completly apart. Many hours later and near completion I realized that I forgot to mark the fence for tdc. What do I need to do to install the knives to proper height? I was also going to make a jig to set the blades as well using the idea from finewoodworking. Thanks

Jim Riseborough
01-18-2012, 7:10 PM
why did you tear it apart??

Stephen Cherry
01-18-2012, 7:13 PM
One way to approach it is to set one knife so that the end of the bevel is just projecting out of the cutterhead on the backside of the blade, then set the outfeed table so that the table is exactly level with the blade at this height. Then set each of the knives to be level with the outfeed table. I use either a wixey digital height gauge, or a good straitedge. I set the knife a little high with the bolt just snug, then pound the cutter down with a crab hammer.

keith micinski
01-18-2012, 7:29 PM
Just rock the head back and forth which a straight edge acrossed it. It will only touch it at its highest point and then mark it. This I actually how I set my jointer blades except I use a Wixey digital height gauge wich is my favorite tool I own and it's not even close.

David Giles
01-18-2012, 7:58 PM
I've never adjusted my outfeed jointer table. Using a dial gauge, set each knife level and about 0.002" higher than the outfeed table. Easier to say than to do. The dial gauge makes it easy to find TDC even with the fence off.

keith micinski
01-18-2012, 8:27 PM
What the hell is a crab hammer by the way?

Gordon Davis
01-18-2012, 8:38 PM
220314220315220316220317 I did not know how long it sat so I decided to break it down and give it a fresh look along with some fitting to square it back up.

Stephen Cherry
01-18-2012, 8:41 PM

It's a little wooden mallet for breaking crab claws. Gordon probably has one, being in the blue crab capitol of the universe.

glenn bradley
01-18-2012, 10:23 PM

It's a little wooden mallet for breaking crab claws. Gordon probably has one, being in the blue crab capitol of the universe.

Ah, the amazing tidbits of obscure knowledge that one picks up around here.

Bruce Wrenn
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
From John White's book, "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." Tape a piece of card stock to fence over cutter head, and level tables to each other. Then using a block of wood with a nail projecting out the bottom about 1/4", slide it up to cutter head from each side. When nail strikes cutter head, scribe a line on card stock, using end of block as a guide. If you want, you can use "poor man's lay out fluid," AKA a magic marker and just color fence, instead of card stock. (Denatured alcohol removes magic marker.) Measure distance between lines, and divide in half. That is TDC. I have the same jointer, but I do like the "Polar Bear White" paint.

John Coloccia
01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I use a dial indicator with a "flat" foot...a Oneway for this particular task, specifically. Eyball TDC. Get a knife in there....doesn't matter if it's perfect or not. Put the gauge on the knife, and move the head back and forth until you find TDC. It wouldn't take me more than 5 seconds to find TDC on any jointer with a dial indicator.

Paul Saffold
01-19-2012, 8:25 AM
From John White's book, "Care and Repair of Shop Machines."

I have this book and it more than paid for itself when I bought a 6" Bridgewood jointer on Craigslist. Nearly everything was out of adjustment.

Brian Kent
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a Grizzly jointer of the same era. I would love to repaint like you did. What flavor paint did you use? (color and type)

Gordon Davis
01-19-2012, 8:44 PM
I used Valspar Tractor & Implement high gloss enamel # 4431-15 International Harvester White, from Tractor Supply. $34 per gal they also carry the hardner to reduce dry time and increase gloss. I am not set up to spray so I rolled it out and used a foam brush to finish. Want to thank all for advice.

johnny means
01-19-2012, 9:10 PM
Gordon probably has one, being in the blue crab capitol of the universe.

Actually, they steal them from us Delawareans.:D