PDA

View Full Version : What you can find??????

Harry Robinette
01-18-2012, 6:03 PM
Well I've been trying to rid up my shop. I've go stuff stuck every where and so it began. So far I've found a complete set of sanding disc and pads in 1",2",3" and disc for them all in full sets of 10:D. I was going to send for new sanding disc this week:confused:. Found a 1/4"and 3/8" box scrapers I been looking for for about 3 months:D. Came across 10 pen kits I thought I'd all ready used.:) Now I've also found A LOT of dust which is why this all started,I have to clean up the dust so I can keep it clean for my health.
The other thing I've been up to is making up a high speed sander like Bill Neddow uses, I can use 2",3" and 5" sanding disc and run them at anywhere from about 500 to 10,000 rpm. I made the adapter for the grinder from his web site but I anded some set screws. I'm using a router speed control to vari the speed on the grinder.220272220273220274220275

charlie knighton
01-18-2012, 9:49 PM
i cleaned up and added screws to my general work table, found my plastics ties thingy that i have been looking for about a year, it is not fancy but i can find and see things again. i had added a vise to the table about 5 years ago and the table just went downhill everytime i used it.

Donny Lawson
01-18-2012, 9:56 PM
I cannot seem to keep up with my saftey glasses and my pencils. Cleaning up shop does help. Right now mine needs help. Between turning and re-sawing its a total mess.

Jim Burr
01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
My shop itself is too small to lose anything in. My cabinet space on the other hand....

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Harry I ran into the same thing. I cleaned my shop after about 3 yrs and found things I forgot I had. I did find a planer under bench that hadn't been used for about 6 yrs since I started turning, a compound mitre saw and a drill press. Sold them all today for $300. Figured more tools.:D Found a new in the box angle drill I bought from HF a couple of yrs ago. Oh well like you saved myself a bunch of money now that things are put where I can find them. I think.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow! Looks like you need to clean your shop more often! Quite the haul!!

Sid Matheny
01-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Sure sounds like my shop!:( I spend almost as much time searching as I do turning.

Sid

Jon McElwain
01-19-2012, 12:29 AM
I found a true treasure while cleaning up a couple months back...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175595-Wedding-Ring&highlight=

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-19-2012, 8:28 AM
It's funny how our minds work. My shop is stuffed with too many years of "collecting" tools and accessories but I can generally remember every item and where I have them. Not so with the rest of my life as proven last weekend. We were off to visit my grandson (even better than turning) and the wind was howling in eastern PA. I went in the hall way closet, where everything goes to hide, and found a brand new leather jacket with lambs wool lining. I couldn't figure out whose it was but it fit me. When my wife saw me wearing it she told me to show it to my father so he would know I was using it five years after he gave it to me as a Christmas gift.
faust

Baxter Smith
01-19-2012, 8:45 AM
Nice job on the grinder adaptor Harry. I may have to look into that. One more thing to forget I had.;):) I often remember where I put stuff that I haven't used in 5 years better than what I used and put down 5 minutes ago.

Alan Zenreich
01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Harry,

In my shop it's very easy to find lost tools.

1. I simply go out and buy another one.
2. Then I use the new tool, so it can't be returned to the store
3. The missing tool immediately appears exactly where I first looked for it

Harry Robinette
01-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I guess I'm not crazy or overly forgetful after all. Thanks everyone. And just thought I've got 3 more walls and allot of cabinets to go.

jared herbert
01-19-2012, 11:12 PM
I had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands 3 weeks ago yesterday. Because of that I am unable to really do much as far as actually building anything or turning. So I spent a week cleaning my shop, not to hard on my hands. I filled 8 30 gallon barrels with scraps, shavings, trash, etc. I found a lot of things that I dont use any more. So far I have sold several hundred dollars worth of stuff on ebay. Not enough to pay for the surgery but good non the less. Jared

Kyle Iwamoto
01-20-2012, 2:59 AM
I lose safety glasses, steel wool packages, sanding discs, you name it. Just the other day, i went out and bought another pack of steel wool. Cleaned up a bit and found the other 2 packs I knew I already had. So, now I have 1 open pack, and 2 unopened packs. Tomorrow, I'll need some steel, wool. I probably won't be able to find any of the 3. That I know I have. I even turned a nice pencil holder so I hav a place for my 10 pencils. It's empty most of the time.

Jim Underwood
01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I was digging through my precision measuring drawer just last week, and found a totally unused moisture meter I'd totally forgotten I had....

And I needed it just a couple weeks ago, but didn't remember I had it. :rolleyes:

Frank Denny
01-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Did anyone find my piece of 25mm round steel that I am/was going to use to have a couple of tool rests made. It is supposed to be for the posts and about 10" long.