PDA

View Full Version : Overarm blade guard slop question

Nick Spencer-Berger
01-18-2012, 4:43 PM
I recently picked up a Biesemeyer overarm blade guard from craigslist for $50, so I can't complain too much. I think it is a 78-955, but I can't find a model number.

My question is, the actual basket part that covers the blade moves from side to side maybe 1 to 1.5 inches. The movement is all in the movable links and the basket and not in the actual arm, which is rigid enough. Is this expected or excessive with this type of blade guard? I am going to play with tightening up the bolts a bit, but I don't want them too tight otherwise it will not move freely up and down.

Thank you for your input!

Rod Sheridan
01-18-2012, 5:24 PM
Hi Nick, that seems a bit excessive.

All overarm guards except for the really expensive type have side to side movement, it's not a problem unless the guard actually strikes the blade.........Rod.

glenn bradley
01-18-2012, 5:41 PM
My cheapie Penn State guard had this issue. It is a dance between minimizing slop and maintaining free movement. Getting the counterbalance weight just right got me to the sweet spot and it has been basically untouched for a couple years.

Van Huskey
01-18-2012, 5:51 PM
The only "hobby" version I have seen with very little slop is the Brett guard. The amount you state seems a little much but the pressure to cause this is so subjective it is hard to say. You will have to play with the linkage bolts and find the best compromise.

Jeff Duncan
01-19-2012, 1:16 PM
Your right you can't complain much cause that's a really good price!

As for the slop it's too much. I have a Beis that was used industrially for years before it came into my possession, and it has a total of 1/2" side movement. Now that's not to say you can't make it work, but obviously you'll need to be more cautious with how you position it. Try tightening it and see how you make out.

good luck,
JeffD

Nick Spencer-Berger
01-19-2012, 1:52 PM
Thanks for the input. I played with it a bit last night and was able to reduce some of the slop, but it's getting a bit tight. I need to play with the tightness as well as the spring and counterbalance to to see how tight I can get it without as much side to side movement.