PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Ideas.... LED Lit CLock....

AL Ursich
01-18-2012, 2:36 PM
Klock Kit has come out with a new Wall Wort 1.5 volt Battery Eliminator for Clocks. I have been wanting this for a while.... Sure, I could have made a Home Made Radio Shack Version but the Liability Issues have always stopped me.... House Burns Down... I get a knock on the Door.... But with a UL Approved KLock Kit Version I am Free to Explore my Project Ideas....

Picture a Maltese Cross Shaped Clock made of Acrylic.... Reverse Engraved with the Details and a Clock with LED's Illuminating it.... Or a Sports Clock....

The best way to get 1.5 volt LED's is to go to eBay and get Solar Powered LED Xmas Lights.... You can cut from the String 1 or 6 and power them from 1.5 volts.... They are wired in Parallel. Drill a hole in the Acrylic and insert the LED... The 6 inches between LED's lets you move them around or you can cut the wires shorter....

A Full color SubliCrylic would be nice.....

Have Fun,

AL

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 2:41 PM
Al,

You would have been okay making your own if you used a UL-approved power supply (you'd be hacking off the end and putting on a tube)... but at $8, it's hard to justify doing it now.

Daniel Wolanski
01-19-2012, 1:00 PM
Hi Al,
I am thinking of making a 5' wooden Ferris wheel and wanted a LED solution as well. How did you determine that the LED's are 1.5v? I looked on e-bay and they don't mention voltage.

AL Ursich
01-21-2012, 3:02 PM
Some tell you one cell battery, that is a AA. The Solar charges the battery and when dark and no charge the LED's are on. I believe the Resistor in built into the LED.

I have some of the 60 LED versions and they have 2 AA batteries that are wired in series at 3 volts. The 50 led version in the picture I believe has only 1 AA battery so the LED's will work at 1.2 volts. Look for less than 60 LED's.