PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

Ernie Nyvall
03-15-2005, 9:13 PM
This is cherry 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" and a little less than 1/8" thick made for the friend who gave me the cherry lumber. He keeps a bag of peppermints next to his chair so this is a candy bowl. I know why it's best to turn green wood now, for this was already dry, but I was anxious to turn something I could finish right away.
It's just a plain bowl, but it's a start. Any criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking.
Ernie

Jeff Sudmeier
03-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Ernie,

I think that it looks great! It should fit the bill very nicely. THe best part is that you are giving back something wonderful, to the person that gave you the wood!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Well Ernie............ Since You ask, let's see what I can find. .................................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NO..........not the Shape........That looks good.

Gee................The finish is good, too!

Shoot...........Even the pictures show the bowl off to it's best advantage.

Wait a minute...................is that some dust I see in the third picture?

NAH ------------ The dust is on my glasses, from turning this evening.

Just havin' some fun wit ya. That's a Beautiful BOWL!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Michael Stafford
03-16-2005, 5:59 AM
That is a great looking first bowl, Ernie! :) I have turned nothing but dry wood so I have never experienced green wood turning. It is great that you are returning the "favor" for a friend.

Jim Becker
03-16-2005, 9:13 AM
Excellent, Ernie. We should all have been so blessed with such a great first bowl! Nice job!

Kurt Aebi
03-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Ernie,

Great looking first bowl (much nicer than mine that I posted a couple of weeks ago). Nice form, nice shape, nice finish - just plain NICE!

Excellent work Ernie, just make sure you keep the chisels sharp is what I've learned so far!

Jerry Clark
03-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Great looking bowl Ernie. Sometimes a simple bowl is best and will always be used and not shelved. My first bowl went in the frieplace! :cool:

Stefan Antwarg
03-16-2005, 12:59 PM
My first bowl - if you can call it that, is slowly settling back into the earth as ash.

Very nice bowl

Stefan

Ernie Nyvall
03-16-2005, 6:43 PM
Thanks for looking at my bowl and the nice compliments.

Jim, what I've been blessed with is all the great information that I've received on this forum. It is filled with a good bunch of people.
Bruce, thanks for the fine toothed combgoing over, but as you can see from my picture, I don't need one any more. Ha Ha I know it was all in fun.
Kurt, my grinder is less than a step from the lathe... Jim Becker gave me a push (more like a shove) on that deal.

Thanks again, Ernie

Steve Inniss
03-16-2005, 6:55 PM
Ernie,
Beautiful 1st bowl, you're a natural.

Mike, you gotta try turning green wood - there is nothing like it - pure fun.

-Steve

Michael Pfau
03-16-2005, 6:59 PM
Ernie,

I think that it looks great! It should fit the bill very nicely. THe best part is that you are giving back something wonderful, to the person that gave you the wood!
I have started turning bowls myself...yours looks great!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-16-2005, 9:46 PM
I agree with the others, this is a great first bowl. I don't see how it could be improved.

John Szarek
03-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Great first bowl. That being said where are its brothers and sisters LOL.

Cherry is a blast to turn, it cuts nice and smells even better.