PDA

View Full Version : woah..... 1st trip to a woodworking store

Bob Riefer
01-18-2012, 1:27 PM
So, I have nicely outfitted my shop entirely from craigs list, help from friends, information on this forum and Garage Journal, a woodworking course, and birthday presents etc. But I've never been to a woodworking store.

I just got back from a nearby Woodcraft.. All I needed was some tape for affixing templates to some pieces I'm working on. An hour later, after resisting numerous urges to sweep entire aisles into a cart and run to the register while laughing like a lunatic, I'm in awe.

Holy moly, I had NO idea at all that there was this much stuff out there. I had no idea that for the price of my entire workshop, you can buy 1 tool.

I guess there really is no point to my post other than for the rest of y'all to get a chuckle at the newbie. Go ahead :)

edit: and as if the universe is laughing at me, the banner ad that just rotated in when I hit "submit" was a Woodcraft ad. Too funny.

Dave Lehnert
01-18-2012, 1:40 PM
If you are ever in Amish country in northern ohio, check out Keim Lumber in Charm, ohio. Makes a WoodCraft look like a stop and go mini mart.

http://www.keimlumber.com/aboutus

Check out the tool area at the :32 mark in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5pPwa0Fto

Jerome Stanek
01-18-2012, 2:38 PM
You also have to check out Hartville lumber in Hartville Ohio

Don Jarvie
01-18-2012, 2:54 PM
You mean in all your years of woodworking you never went to Woodcraft or Rockler? That is the most surprising part.

Matt Meiser
01-18-2012, 2:54 PM
Especially after they open the new store.
http://www.hartvillehardware.com/the-new-hartville-hardware

Bob Riefer
01-18-2012, 3:00 PM
Edit To answer Don's question: Nope, never been to a Rockler, Woodcraft, or anything else similar. 100% of my woodworking equipment and learning happened without these influences. Then again, I've done tons of construction work and only very little furniture making so far (but the shop is fully setup for that task).

This is weird to ask, because in my job, I battle cheap price pretenders all the time...

But, I was somewhat shocked at the prices (the prices being high overall in my opinion). Is this a case of people being so consumed by their hobbies that they're willing to spend for "the best" in every facet of their shop? Is it a case of the shop just sort of sucks you in like the candy bars are the super market check out? Or, is it a case that a newbie can't yet understand why a $150 vice is worlds better than a $50 vice?

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 3:32 PM
Sometimes a $150 vise is better than a $50 one, sometimes it's just more expensive. Look at the products that have gained a good reputation, and then ask if that reputation is deserved due to quality. Companies like Lie Nielson, for example, have a very good rep and for good cause... their products are top notch, and their customer service matches. Places like Harbor Freight sell quite useable tools in many cases, but don't expect high-end stuff, and some are complete duds.

Often the wood stores are a bit more expensive than places like Amazon because you are paying not only for the convenience of having it all there under one roof, but you also (usually) get good advice form the people who work there (who are woodworkers themselves, most of the time).

charlie knighton
01-18-2012, 3:34 PM
Bob, you might check estate sales also, not so much for lathes , but add on, and some tools

Bruce Page
01-18-2012, 3:45 PM
I would be divorced if I lived anywhere near that place!

Myk Rian
01-18-2012, 4:37 PM
But, I was somewhat shocked at the prices (the prices being high overall in my opinion). Is this a case of people being so consumed by their hobbies that they're willing to spend for "the best" in every facet of their shop? Is it a case of the shop just sort of sucks you in like the candy bars are the super market check out? Or, is it a case that a newbie can't yet understand why a $150 vice is worlds better than a $50 vice?
Consider a Delta #882 machine lamp. These were made decades ago, but every now and then they pop up for sale. Anywhere from $50 to $100, or more, for a USED lamp.
You still think Woodcraft or Rockler is pricey? These little lamps can make or break a tool sale. I've been able to acquire 3 of them.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/MykRian/Delta 40-110 scroll saw/Img_0104s-1.jpg

Jim Koepke
01-18-2012, 4:52 PM
is it a case that a newbie can't yet understand why a $150 vice is worlds better than a $50 vice?

Some of those expensive vices can get you into big trouble.

Now if you want to talk about vises, that is a different story...

jtk

glenn bradley
01-18-2012, 5:31 PM
So, I have nicely outfitted my shop entirely from craigs list, help from friends, information on this forum and Garage Journal, a woodworking course, and birthday presents etc. But I've never been to a woodworking store.

I just got back from a nearby Woodcraft.. All I needed was some tape for affixing templates to some pieces I'm working on. An hour later, after resisting numerous urges to sweep entire aisles into a cart and run to the register while laughing like a lunatic, I'm in awe.

Holy moly, I had NO idea at all that there was this much stuff out there. I had no idea that for the price of my entire workshop, you can buy 1 tool.

I guess there really is no point to my post other than for the rest of y'all to get a chuckle at the newbie. Go ahead :)

edit: and as if the universe is laughing at me, the banner ad that just rotated in when I hit "submit" was a Woodcraft ad. Too funny.

We've all been there at some point. I am still surprised at how I have adjusted to prices of somethings but not others. $5 per 100 for those screws? No way. Only $200 for that hand plane? Sold!

Van Huskey
01-18-2012, 6:08 PM
When it is time for wood make a trip to meccah down in Oxford: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

Vices, how about 1,000 for an old used Oliver pattern makers vices! The you have $10,000 Hotley hand planes etc etc.

It is amazing what we have available to us, some priced right some priced, well, PRICED.

Bob Riefer
01-18-2012, 8:46 PM
Some of those expensive vices can get you into big trouble.

Now if you want to talk about vises, that is a different story...

Ha ha ha, I had to read it twice to see my spelling error!

I'm not sure I want to go back to that store to tell the truth... I found myself inventing reasons to buy stuff... stuff that I don't even know what it's for!

I will say that the fellow helping me was very nice despite the obviousness of my questions!

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 9:04 PM
Same here, Bob... I don't type "vise" very often, so "vice" didn't seem out of place to me until I read it again.

Rich Engelhardt
01-19-2012, 6:24 AM
Holy moly, I had NO idea at all that there was this much stuff out there
(speaking of vices)
LOL!
That was my reaction to Ceaser's Palace in Vegas the first time we went there!

Speaking of which - the "Ceaser's Palace of WW'ing"
all 430,000 square feet of it, is over your way in Muncy Pa. (Grizzly)
Anywho - Woodcraft and Rockler are, IMHO, good places to hit if you need something of decent quality & you need it right away. Their prices pretty much reflect that.