PDA

View Full Version : picture for John K

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 8:33 AM
hope this helps youtube has great videos on this subject. Check them out..it will help to see someone do it.

John Keeton
01-18-2012, 8:52 AM
Thanks, Michelle!! In your other post, you talked about the sanding problem - wouldn't one just "turn" the glued up piece? I can see that the edges of each ring might be rough from the cut, but those should sand easily enough to get a good glue up.

I will watch the videos on YouTube and quit bugging you with questions - probably a better plan!!

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 9:19 AM
no problem John, I'm retired!! Depending on how good a glue up you do, you can turn it off. if it is wonky, I turn it slowly on the lathe & hit it with the angle grinder..very fast..but very dusty. I think you will find that many you can do that way, but sometimes one just can't glue them up straight, here are other examples of a few I turned previously & posted here

Tom Winship
01-18-2012, 9:55 AM
Michelle, you have stirred my interest! What type of parting tool do you use to cut the rings?

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 9:59 AM
VERY THIN which in itself causes issues..it will not stay on track as well as a 1/8

David Starks
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
do you happen to have any youtube links? I looked and did a search and the search came up empty. Looks cool and far beyond my abilities.

Steve Busey
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
do you happen to have any youtube links? I looked and did a search and the search came up empty. David, Go to youtube.com, and search for: bowl from a board

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I can't totally remember the name, but economy bowl might be one? Great 7 or 8 part video...try woodturning bowl from a board..it will come up with economy in the title

Alan Zenreich
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I reccommend the book Wooden Bowls from the Scroll Saw (http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Bowls-Scroll-Easy---Make/dp/1565234332/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326907491&sr=8-1): 28 Useful & Surprisingly Easy-To-Make Projects by Carole Rothman.

Carole doesn't use a lathe at all, her techniques for are for precision ring cutting on the scroll saw, followed by careful sanding (this also allows her to create non-round bowls).

However, her explanations and demonstrations of blank preparation, pattern alignment tips (great for swags) are all applicable to wood turning. It's a fine addition to any woodturner's library.

If you watch YouTube you can see Carole in action. She's as nice and friendly in person as she is on screen.

Erik Johanson
01-18-2012, 1:33 PM
I am pretty sure Bob Hamm has one on you tube where he uses a dovetail joint to combine the two pieces

Kevin Stanbary
01-18-2012, 3:21 PM
I can't recall where I saw it (wasn't YouTube) but I remember watching a vid online of Mark Damron making a large vessel using this technique and a tool he built to accurately cut the rings... the term I think he used was "stack ring lamination"

Bob Hamilton also has a 6 part video on YouTube called "Coring Backwards" and the dovetailed one that he cuts the rings on the bandsaw called "True Economy"