PDA

View Full Version : at it again

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 6:46 AM
I'm still on a tear to improve the bad reputation of" bowls from a board." This is my latest attempt. I believe I may have a new wrinkle on this with the inset lid. in all my years of woodworking i have never seen a BfromB with an inset lid. i'm rather fond of it. Black Limba . (my camera gives everything a squat appearance..this is taller than it looks) For my next foray into madness I will attempt another through spiral hollowform. Hopefully it will remain in one piece, unlike my attempt last week!!

Donny Lawson
01-18-2012, 6:54 AM
Now that's just purdy darn good work, and you say that came from a board???????? What size of a board did you start with? Do you have any pics with the lid off? Sorry for the questions but I really like it.

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 7:12 AM
No problem Donny. I started with a board about 8 1/2 wide & 17 inches long. Cut it into 2 pieces 81/2 x 8 1/2 each. One for lid & one for bowl. If you are interested in the concept there are great videos on youtube about making bowls from a board. One can use a scrollsaw, bandsaw, or a ringmaster. I do them on the lathe. Look into it, and I bet you find they can be fun!

Russell Eaton
01-18-2012, 7:18 AM
Very cool bowl. I agree with you on the lid, it looks great.

John Keeton
01-18-2012, 7:19 AM
Michelle, this one is a definite winner! I love the way the color and grain flows on this one, and the inset lid w/handle is perfect! You may have me convinced on doing one of these.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2012, 7:26 AM
That looks pretty cool! I've seen a few of these but this is the first time I've seen a lid! Great idea!!

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 7:35 AM
:DSteve, I have made lidded ones before & posted here. You must have been on vacation!:D What is different on this is I've never seen a lid that is inset..I've always seen them on top of the bowl.

John Keeton
01-18-2012, 7:53 AM
Michelle - question - it seems most of the BfromB I see do not have have a pleasing grain alignment. I take that the width of the rings, and the angle of the cut makes all the difference in the world in the final appearance. Do you care to share those dimensions/angles? And, did you start with a 4/4 board?

Counting the base, you have 7 cuts, so the piece would be around 7" tall using full 4/4 stock - correct?

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 7:54 AM
You did a great job at keeping the grain aligned. I also like the lidded bowls... something different from the usual, and I like the variance in handle options it offers up.

Gary Kman
01-18-2012, 7:56 AM
I like the look but I'm missing something. Was your "board" 8 or 10" thick?

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 8:09 AM
gary: the board was .878 thick or a thick piece of 3/4 inch stock. usually sold as 4/4 stock.

Tim Rinehart
01-18-2012, 8:11 AM
Very cool, and I like the inset lid also. Really subtle change but makes a pretty big impact into look of piece. I like it!

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 8:25 AM
OK John: Most folks make these with a scrollsaw or a bandsaw. The scrollsaw can go thru a tiny hole and one can do the ring in one piece. No vertical breaks in the ring. (my preference) the bandsaw requires one do the rings in halves. Still Ok, but not my preference. Most bowls are done near 45 degrees. But one can choose to change that or change the angle as one goes. One ususally takes a 8-9-10 inch square of 4/4 stock and finds center..draws the largest circle one can. then draws another circle inside that. I would draw that 5/16th inside the first.(this will give you a bit of fudge factor for your first one) Keep going until you get to the bottom size you want.

Now the rings will be -on their sides- very scruffy from the bandsaw/scrollsaw..sanding is a real bear!! be prepared. i use an angle grinder.(with sanding unit) no kidding. And you may not have gotten all the rings perfectly glued..so you may have ridges.. these are cool, as they use so little wood, and most of us have flat lumber around we don't have a clue what to do with it.
This piece I posted used less than 1 1/2 bd ft. without the lid..3/4 bd ft. Very "fuel efficient."

It's hard to describe here, but I have one in process & I'll take pics & send in another post.

Eric Holmquist
01-18-2012, 8:43 AM
Beautiful execution and a great design. Like many, I have not seen one of these with an inset lid. Some day I'll try one of these BfromB projects

Did you re-purpose the metal part that is part of the handle from some kit like a cork screw?

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 8:51 AM
Don't forget about cutting at an angle... else you'll have a table full of donuts :p

Norm Zax
01-18-2012, 8:52 AM
Liked the BFB, like the wood, like the description. Good job!

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 9:12 AM
yep dan..with powdered sugar, the cellulose isn't half bad!!! Been there/done that!!

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 9:22 AM
Hey, if you get the angle correct to the width of ring you're cutting, a really good turner should only have to sand the final product after glue-up :p

Robert McGowen
01-18-2012, 9:27 AM
That is nice! My first thought was that it would make a fancy ice bucket if the inside could be waterproofed.

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 9:48 AM
well, I guess it must be my astigmatism:D:p..I have yet , after probably 200+ of these gotten a perfect glue up..I suppose one could use a protractor set to the angle and butt the bowl up to that...but i'm old & keep making the same errors over & over. theory is great, until one actually goes & does it..remember that the rings are 1/2 side grain & 1/2 end grain..they go oval. Hard to sand oval.

Hayes Rutherford
01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Looks like a nice useful container. Never used Black Limba, nice to see it and the two tone effect works well here.
I made one bowl using this method and had the results been anywhere as nice as yours maybe would have tried it again.
I simply marked the center on a planed board and jambed it up against a plywood jamb chuck. Then using a thin parting tool, started parting off the rings from the outside toward center. Because of the draft angle, you can continue to part all the rings without stopping.

Baxter Smith
01-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Very nice Michele! I remember the one you posted using a similar wood a while ago. I think I like this one even more with the curve of the colors and grain. Not to mention the lid and very cool handle! Not sure I can visualize the other side, does the color line match up as perfectly?

dan carter
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
You are right, that inset lid is a real eye catcher. We made many bowls of this type in my school shop. We referred to them as beggars bowls; made from two pieces of 1 x 6 x 12 lumber and band sawed the rings. Very nice bowl.

Michelle Rich
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Hayes..absolutely how it's done on a lathe..they do require patience & a modicum of skill..but they are so wood efficient, and one can use leftovers, that they really are useful.

John W Dixon
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
That is really cool. I love the lid and handle, it gives a wonderful finished look. Love to see some pictures of one in progress.

Bill Wyko
01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Excellent job Michelle, the angle is spot on for the form. Another winner. Good luck on the next spiral.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
That is a beauty Michelle and I like the inset lid. Well done.

Jim Underwood
01-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Very nice work Michelle. Quite original too, despite being a variation on an old technique.

This reminds and inspires me.... I have several boards laid up for this kind of project.

Jim Burr
01-18-2012, 1:05 PM
I don't know if someone mentioned this...but is that a corkscrew T that you used for the handle? Pretty sporty!