PDA

View Full Version : Saging Honeycomb on epilog 18

Bruce Clumpner
01-18-2012, 3:07 AM
I've been fighting the sag in my honeycomb cutting bed for a while and I'm finally fed up with the issues its causing. Anyone have any suggestions for supporting the existing piece or replacing? I've seen mentioned knife supports, angle iron and light fixture grids. What do you think works best in the epilog?

Thanks as always, SMC is the best!

Frank Corker
01-18-2012, 7:18 AM
Bruce, the mesh in there is super fine and doesn't take much to bend unfortunately. On the Helix which is a bigger machine, there is a partitions support half way across running North South which supports it. When I've accidently put too much weight on mine, I took the honeycomb out, turned it upside down and gently pushed it back into place. I then used a piece of wood from an ice lolly to square up the dented parts. You could always contact Epilog who will be able to supply you with a new one.

If you search through some of the history (past messages) there are other alternative grids which some people have posted/made for those lasers which don't have one as standard. You could make small supports using wire from coat hangers which stand on the bottom of the rubbish tray which would support the honeycomb and provided they were thin at the top you wouldn't have too much bounce-back when the beam hits them.

John Noell
01-19-2012, 6:57 PM
I now use a stiffer grid with bigger holes for most work. I think you can get them from stl-laser.com. When I am doing real small stuff I use the Epilog grid but too much use and it sags.

Bruce Clumpner
01-19-2012, 9:10 PM
I'll take a look at the cutting bed from Stl and see what other suggestions are out there.

Thanks...

Mike Null
01-20-2012, 5:47 AM
Thanks for the referral but I have sold that portion of my business. You can get the grids at http://lazergrids.com/lazergrids.