PDA

View Full Version : My new woodchipper

Paul Grothouse
01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Thought you guys would like to see my new tooling for my CNC. I asked Schmidt for something that I could use to rough out blanks. 3-1/2" D x 5" long. Replacable Carbide inserts, all mounted up to a HSK arbor.

Nasty peice of tooling.

Jim Underwood
01-18-2012, 1:08 PM
Eeeayow! That'll chew up some wood in a hurry! What are you making with this?

Dan Hintz
01-18-2012, 1:21 PM
And here I thought a jointer was bad... at least a jointer doesn't move the cutter. I would want to stand well outside the boundaries of that CNC!

Bruce Page
01-18-2012, 1:26 PM
What RPM will you run that monster? That is a lot of mass that will, um, get interesting if it starts to chatter.

Bruce Boone
01-18-2012, 4:48 PM
That tooling looks pretty expensive too!

Jim Underwood
01-18-2012, 8:51 PM
I doubt that it would vibrate. An aluminum spiral head wouldn't weigh much, and the spiral? Dang... those things will CHEW up some wood without even thinking about it...

Mike Heidrick
01-18-2012, 8:57 PM
Heck with the tooling I want to see the spindle.

Paul Grothouse
01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
We make heavy solid wood products, solid wood tops, solid wood table parts etc. I have been using 3/4" x 6" carbide spirals for most of our roughing passes. Those bits cost ~$400 ea. I have snapped one already. They also get dull and last ~10 hours of machining, then have to be sharpened and I have to put in tool wear offsets (PIA). I needed something bigger and faster that would take out more material. This whole setup cost ~$800, so I figure two bits and I'm there. The carbide inserts are about a buck a peice, and have four sides and last forever. My planer uses them and we probably plane 3000 bdft a week and we turn the inserts twice a year. I can also run my 1-1/4" shaper cutters on the arbor, so it is a mulitasker.

I will run this at 10k rpm to start, it is laser balanced, I am not concerned about vibration, my CNC spindle is 15hp and can carry a 25lb aggregate tool around no problem. For comparision my SCMI shaper has a 10hp motor and I can run dual 12" tenon cutters on that no problem, it's not really that different. I wouldn't hesitate to put a cutter like this on my shaper and use it with a follower bearing and a template.

I will post of video of a test flight, rest assured it will make some chips.

Bruce Page
01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I will run this at 10k rpm to start, it is laser balanced, I am not concerned about vibration, my CNC spindle is 15hp and can carry a 25lb aggregate tool around no problem.

Paul, I Googled what a "Andi Stratus Pro" is.. it looks pretty stout.

Jim Underwood
01-19-2012, 5:14 PM
I'd bet that steel HSK tool holder weighs more than the tool body with all the inserts in it....