PDA

View Full Version : Clifton plane #4 repair information

Jacob Nothstine
01-17-2012, 9:15 PM
I have a Clifton #4 2000-1c hand plane that I and others with a lot of experience with hand planes can’t get to cut an even shaving across the plane blade. It only cuts on the right side of the blade not the full blade length.

The blade is at the proper angle, sharp, and square.
The Cap Iron sets flat on the blade like it should.
The frog is even and at proper space.
Sole is flat

One suggestion was to skew the blade.

Any ideas?

Any place that repairs Clifton planes? Does Clifton have a web page?

Thnaks, Jacob

Joel Goodman
01-17-2012, 9:43 PM
I assume you have tried the lateral adjuster? I find a small piece of 1/4" or 1/2" wood (say 2" or 3" X 6") is helpful to adjust a plane. Move the wood against the right side of the iron, then the left side, essentially planing with the plane upside down, adjusting depth and lateral, until you have a nice shaving (of equal thickness) from each side of the iron.

Is the slot (where the blade protrudes through the sole) square with the sides of the plane? If it's not and the lateral adjuster doesn't have enough travel to deal with it, then you'll have to sharpen the blade with a slight skew.

Jim Foster
01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Is the blade touching one side of the body. I have a Record from the 90's that has a lateral adjuster installed a little to one side forcing the blade against one side of the body and with some fiddling and filing I've gotten it to work, but it first exhibited problems similar to yours. Since the side of the body by the mouth is rough cast and painted dark it can be difficult to see exactly what's going on without a good light on the area.

John T Barker
01-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Simple thing to do. Adjust the blade so it is sticking out by and 1/8" or more. I mean so you could see it in the dark. Make sure the edge is parallel to the sole and then back it down. Put it down on the surface and do the opposite. If you turn the depth adjustment knob it will eventually come in contact with the wood evenly...if you have not changed the lateral setting. Nothing needs to be square on a handplane but for what you are trying to accomplish the blade should be parallel or close to parallel in order to contact the wood and make a full shaving.

No insult intended...there is a proper edge on the blade, right?

Mark Wyatt
01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
I have a Stanley #6 that had a similar problem. Couldn't solve it for the life of me. Then one day, while I was fiddlin with it and holding the iron and flipping it around in my hand I noticed something. The iron was much thinner on the left side than the right. I replaced the iron with a spare and the plane works just fine.

Just a thought.

Jacob Nothstine
01-18-2012, 8:59 AM
lateral adjuster? Yes turned it all the way to one side didn't help.

slot (where the blade protrudes through the sole) square with the sides of the plane? Yes

Is the blade touching one side of the body. No

John, will try what you said tonight.

there is a proper edge on the blade, right? Yes, first thing the other people checked that looked at it.
The iron was much thinner on the left side than the right. Will check tonight.

Greg Wease
01-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm not familiar with Clifton but on some planes the tab that interfaces with the frog adjustment screw is tilted causing the frog to be misaligned. Sounds like you are trying all the right things.

Jerome Hanby
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Could be a problem with the frog. Is ther paint on the plane where the frog touches the base? Frog could need flattening. Not familar with Clifton planes, so none of that may apply.

Jim Koepke
01-18-2012, 4:44 PM
Jacob,

Your profile doesn't indicate where you are located.

If your are in my area, let me know and I may be able to help one on one.

Make sure the frog is seated properly and is not turned or skewed. I have seen frogs that are not square between the area where the frog seats on the plane and the bed for the blade. If you have a plane of the same size you may be able to switch the frogs around. If the problem moves, then it is likely the frog.

Make sure the blade is seating properly on the frog. I have seen the blade hung up on the lateral lever and causing a similar problem.

jtk

Dale Cruea
01-18-2012, 6:03 PM
I had problems with an older Stanley plane. The frog was too far back letting the blade hit the mouth at the sole of the plane. Filed the back of the mouth and moved the frog as far forward as I could.
Problem solved.

Joel Goodman
01-18-2012, 8:27 PM
Just throwing this out although most probably know it -- the Clifton is a Bedrock style frog (like LN).

Jacob Nothstine
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
The iron was much thinner on the left side than the right. Check it’s same.

Make sure the edge is parallel to the sole and then back it down. Yes

Jtk I’m in Michigan thanks for your offer.

Clifton is a Bedrock style frog (like LN). yes

Out of time tonight will try a few more test Thursday.

Thanks for your everyones help.

Jacob Nothstine
01-19-2012, 11:20 PM
It works. I spent about 2hrs working on it tonight took everything apart. I think the problem was the frog. I sanded the bottem of the frog flat on a marble stone, and then put sandpaper on the bottom of the frog and sanded were it rests on the plane.

The only thing I noticed now is one of the screws that hold down the frog (2 screws are on the back of the frog, they turn into 2 other screws that hold the frog to the plane body) is longer then the other. Both screws are the same size. The screw that is out more is the side that was cutting sooner. Another mystery but it works. :)

Greg Wease
01-20-2012, 6:53 PM
Make sure the pins that hold the frog down are oriented so their side holes align with the pointed screws that come in from the back. This could cause one of the screws to stick out farther.