PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut backsaw plate length

Scott Flamm
01-17-2012, 8:22 PM
I am looking to buy a crosscut back saw and am trying to decide between a 12" (carcass) or 14" (sash) plate length. What are the pros/cons of one vs the other, or is it just personal preference? I have already ordered a 16" tenon filed rip and a dovetail saw.

Chris Griggs
01-18-2012, 7:10 AM
My preference is for longer. To some extent that's just subjective personal preference. However, the extra length gives you a bit more cutting capacity when cutting pieces to length at a bench hook. The added length can also be nice if you plan to do things like saw walls for dados and sliding dovetails. 12" saw are nice too though. They are often filed a bit a finer and can be a little easier to wield, but once again my preference would be for the longer saw plate.

Mike Holbrook
01-18-2012, 8:41 AM
I like my 14" Gramercy Sash saw for crosscuts even though the teeth are filed combo. I am thinking on a 16" "tenon" saw for longer, deeper cuts. Combo filling is another interesting way to get more use out of each saw. Check out the Tools for Working Wood, description of how they file the teeth on their Gramercy Sash Saw.

Archie England
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Yep! Totally a personal preference.... But 12" blades are the best...just kidding. I prefer a 12" blade for most of my backsaw work but I have one or two in every length. For me, it's just learning the ability of each saw and using it comfortably to accomplish a task. Only the largest tenons resist a 12" blade; otherwise, I can use it to cut dovetails or tenons equally. Sure, the longer blades are nice when working with wider or taller wood, but after a while you'll develop a preference.

Have fun getting there!

Mike Holbrook
01-18-2012, 5:03 PM
Archie!, didn't you just get a real good deal on a 12" saw? I think I read about Archie trading for a 12" saw Chris let go in favor of a 14" thin plate, rookie, to be combo filed, draft pick. We might be getting into a "family" squabble here.

Chris Griggs
01-18-2012, 5:16 PM
Archie!, didn't you just get a real good deal on a 12" saw? I think I read about Archie trading for a 12" saw Chris let go in favor of a 14" thin plate, rookie, to be combo filed, draft pick. We might be getting into a "family" squabble here.

Nope, the saw I sold to Archie was a 14", he does however, have a 12" adria xcut - that thing cuts like butta, but as he spends time with his new 14" I'm sure he will change his tune about 12" being his favorite :)

I sold it in favor of purchasing parts for, you guessed it, another 14" saw (as well as a 10" DT saw). I'm pretty much making different versions of the saws I already own(ed) - call me crazy!

Mike Holbrook
01-18-2012, 5:32 PM
Ok "Crazy" I was off a couple inches. I'm still not convinced I was entirely off base though! ;-)

Jim Koepke
01-18-2012, 5:56 PM
I am looking to buy a crosscut back saw and am trying to decide between a 12" (carcass) or 14" (sash) plate length. What are the pros/cons of one vs the other, or is it just personal preference? I have already ordered a 16" tenon filed rip and a dovetail saw.

Hard to give good answers without knowing a little more about your intended use.

One thing to remember about a longer saw is the longer it is, the more likely you will hit your bench top when using it with a bench hook. Just a slight downward angle of the toe and... CONTACT!

When using a miter box a long saw is helpful since an angled cut is a longer cut.

Also the kind of work you want to do will have some to do with your tools. If you are making small items you don't need a big saw. If you are making a new set of frame and panel doors for the home, then a bigger saw would be in order.

jtk

Chris Vandiver
01-18-2012, 9:39 PM
There's no reason to limit yourself to just one crosscut saw.:)

Mike Holbrook
01-19-2012, 6:57 AM
Chris I like the way you think. I just think that way a little too often lately. Just won a great 16" CC backsaw which as it turns out was owned by a fellow SMC poster, who decided to cut back his inventory. It is a cycle and we must have errr enable more members to venture out onto the slope.

Scott Flamm
01-19-2012, 9:16 AM
Thanks for all the advise. I decided to go with the longer saw (14"). I am in the process of building a new bench and the extra thickness under the back may come in handy for some of the joinery. After that I am going to build some furniture for my home. But, from the sounds of it I likely would have been be happy with either. And besides, I'm sure I could convince my wife to let me buy another saw if I decided that I want the 12" as well :rolleyes:.

Mike Holbrook
01-19-2012, 10:30 AM
The 14" saw does seem a good place to start. All you will need then is a 12' and 16", unless you want rip & crosscuts in all sizes.... Combo filing may help save us from ourselves, so I am anxious to hear about Chris's combo filed saw when it gets finished with it.

Chris Griggs
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
The 14" saw does seem a good place to start. All you will need then is a 12' and 16", unless you want rip & crosscuts in all sizes.... Combo filing may help save us from ourselves, so I am anxious to hear about Chris's combo filed saw when it gets finished with it.

I'm not sure the combo filed saw will save me from anything. :) It's main purpose it to leave my bench uncluttered for most tasks. When my bank account fills back up don't be suprised if I end up builing a 16-18" rip and 11-12 rip carcass/large DT saw, and a 12" fine xcut saw. I think this tool building thing could be an even more sliperry slope then tool buying. Hopefully, one of these days I'll actually get back around to building some furniture again too.