PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Baxter!

David Starks
01-17-2012, 6:55 PM
Sittin at the computer today and the dog starts barkin, figured it was the mailman and sure enough. I go to the door and hes standing there w/ a box. He mentions the weight as heavy (he's gonna have to get used to this). i tell him its wood and he looks at me rather funny. I tell him of the new hobby and cut open the box.

Enclosed is a piece of beech and some small holly pieces. We talked for a few minutes and on his way he went.

Thanks Baxter! Got your hackberry cut out, waxed, wrapped and it'll be on its way tomorrow.

Baxter Smith
01-17-2012, 8:26 PM
Glad the box made it David. Thanks for helping me make my "gotta rough it out now beech pile" smaller! My mail lady asked if I was building a car and buying all the parts when I started getting wood in the mail a couple of years ago. Have never seen a piece of spalted hackberry I didn't like so am looking forward to it.

Scott Lux
01-17-2012, 8:32 PM
David, a pen for your mail carrier might not be a bad idea. Congrats on the wood.

David Starks
01-17-2012, 8:49 PM
David, a pen for your mail carrier might not be a bad idea. Congrats on the wood.

I already had the same thought...;)

Mike Cruz
01-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Daaaavvvvviiiiddddd, I don't see any wood......

David Starks
01-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Mike, are you wanting me to take a pic of what Baxter sent me or what I sent him? Or are you jealous and wanting some hackberry too?

Remember Im new here and dont know all the rules you old timers play by :D

Mike Cruz
01-18-2012, 8:14 AM
Hehe, David, the basic rules are that if you are making a claim (gloat on a tool or wood) that you "prove" it by posting a pic. And it isn't so much of a "rule" as it is those of us that are "visual" wanting to see what you've got... So, you "claim" that you got a box of wood from Baxter. Now, granted, Baxter confirmed that he sent you wood, but how do WE really know that? :D Just post a pic. It'll shut me up. And in the future, just an FYI, it'll shut the rest of the bozos up, too. ;)

David Starks
01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Here's a pic for those that didnt think I really did get a package in the mail ;). The large piece is beech, next to it is some holly.

Mike Cruz
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
No, no, no, that pic won't do. It isn't framed properly, poor lighting, and... Just kidding. Thanks for posting, Baxter, very nice of you, and enjoy turning that wood, David! Now, let's see some pics of what you turn of it all...;) I just don't quit. :D

David E Keller
01-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Looks like a nice chunk of beech, David... It'll be a great way to break in the new Delta(if it ever arrives!). The holly is a great turning wood for finials and small detailed pieces, so I think you'll enjoy that as well!

Jim Burr
01-20-2012, 8:57 AM
(semi hijack) I got home this morning to the same thing...Baxterwood.com!! You're gonna love it David!

Baxter Smith
01-20-2012, 2:11 PM
Here's a pic for those that didnt think I really did get a package in the mail ;). The large piece is beech, next to it is some holly.

David, even though I did put anchorseal on the blank before sending, I think it would be wise to stick it back into a closed garbage bag. It will be safer that way if you don't get it turned for a month and should be fine for several more that way. If it spalts(which I doubt at this time of year)so much the better.

(semi hijack) I got home this morning to the same thing...Baxterwood.com!! You're gonna love it David!
Don't be too quick with the "love it" part Jim. Put away some 2-3" beech slabs and blocks this morning that I had anchorsealed the ends on and thought I would check some bags. There is a reason you don't see people posting a lot of beech.
I tried to glue and clamp the one on the right but it didn't hold.
Of the 7 bowls from the two sets I posted, only two are completely crack free at this point. I put some thin CA on the cracks in the others, wrapped stretch wrap around the rims, then double bagged them. Both of the turned thick roughouts I had placed in bags without anchorseal had developed a trace of a crack. Added some CA, put anchorseal on them, and as soon as it is dry, they will go into bags too.
If you are still reading this......(haven't gone to throw your pieces in the woodstove)....the two beech bowls I turned thin first and only bagged, are fine but warped. I think they are pretty much past the dangerzone.
These are all the ones I did last spring. The three larger bowls on the left are crack free. I think they were both anchorsealed and bagged. The two turned thin bowls 5/16" are both fine. I gave the largest one of the set(about 13") to the tree trimmer that gave me the wood. It was fine. Since the smaller one still has stretch wrap on it, I must have done that with all three of them before placing them in bags. The smaller HF on the far right with the pith centered in the bottom has no trace of a crack. The crotch platter is ok.
The larger crotch vase (has a crack on the shoulder) and the closed bowl has a couple but both are turnable if I want to bother.220496
So after not totally losing anything with my first beech experience, then not doing so good with my second, my advice would be......darned if I know!