PDA

View Full Version : New LN Plane

Michael Gabbay
03-15-2005, 3:18 PM
After several weeks of research and waiting for the order to arrive, my LN Large Shoulder plane arrived yesterday. I was able to hone the blade and work with it for a few minutes last night. So far, the plane has exceeded my expectations. It fits my hand well. The fit and finish are incredible as with all of the LN planes. I was initially a little concerend about it's size. I had considered buying the LV Large Shoulder plane with the knobs.

I have a walnut table that I'm working on that will see a lot of the new plane.

Mike

Gene Collison
03-15-2005, 6:41 PM
Michael,

Congratulations on your new LN. If this is your first , it won't be your last, enjoy it!

Gene

John Weber
03-15-2005, 7:27 PM
Gene is a wise man, congrats on a very nice LN.

John

Roy Wall
03-15-2005, 7:54 PM
Michael,

Congratulations on your new LN. If this is your first , it won't be your last, enjoy it!

Gene
Ha ha!!:D :D Wise indeed!

Nice haul Mike!

Michael Gabbay
03-15-2005, 8:43 PM
Gene -

It's my third LN plane. The collection now consists of the 4 1/2, 60 1/2R, the Dovetail Saw and now the Large Shoulder. I'm looking at (and saving for) the Low Angle Jack. IMHO LN really knows how to make nice planes. My Stanley collection consists of a #7 circa 1890's I think its a type 3 or 4 and a #5 (not sure of the date. Since I use them for woodworking and not as a collectors items I don't get too concerned about dates and such.

I was just in the shop trying it some more. The more I work with it the better it feels. As with all planes, once you get the blade adjusted a well tuned plane cuts like butter.

Mike

Mark Singer
03-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Michael,
That is a great shoulder plane, I have had the same one for several years and enjoy it! The LV medium is also a nice complement to this one.