PDA

View Full Version : Ever work with Box elder?

Lynn Kasdorf
04-25-2003, 10:25 AM
I'll have to be dropping and milling several box elders on my property to make way for a barn. I've read that they are in the maple family.

I wonder if anybody has any experience with this wood- like how is it to work, is it suitable for outdoor exposure (like for barn siding), is it pretty like maple? Is it suitable for beams for a timber frame structure?

I'll find out before too long after the mill is set up, but just thought I'd ask you folks.

Bill Hogue
04-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Hello Lynn,

Box elder is a soft wood. Basically used for boxes, crates and craving. Try is link at Wood Magazine,http://www.woodmagazine.com/default.sph/wcontent_user.class?FNC=category__Asection_html___ 7___43.

Bill Hogue

Lynn Kasdorf
04-25-2003, 11:47 AM
They call it "the lowliest maple of all".

Well, it should provide me with some sawmill experience anyway. Thanks for the link.

Steven Wilson
04-28-2003, 10:36 AM
When the spring storms start up and trees are falling down, box elder is free for the pickings. It's a nice wood to turn.

Jim Becker
04-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Box elder is prized by turners and is also quite nice for accents and other projects, particularly if it has the red stain caused by an insect infestation common to the species. You can see an example of how striking this can be by visiting Joe Quesada's site at http://www.rusticturnings.com/boxelderglry.htm.

Fine Woodworking recently did a two-page spread on this wood with some interesting pictures.

Mike Mastin
04-28-2003, 1:02 PM
Jim,

No offense, but the red staining in Box Elder has nothing to do with insect infestation :-)

This staining is the result of injury to the tree and can be the onset of spalting too.

Jim Becker
04-28-2003, 1:07 PM
Originally posted by Mike Mastin
No offense, but the red staining in Box Elder has nothing to do with insect infestation :-)

This staining is the result of injury to the tree and can be the onset of spalting too.

If I was misinformed, I appologze...that's how it was always described to me. That being said, however it happens, it sure can be spectacular! :D

Lynn Kasdorf
04-28-2003, 1:54 PM
I'll try turning some of it. One of the trees has some "injury" i'd say- 1/2 to 2/3 of the tree is gone (lengthwise). I don't know how it happened- but the tree is growing with much of it missing. If you cut a cross section it would be like a crescent. I betcha there is some nice color in there!

There is a particular beetle called a "Box Elder Bug" that seems to inhabit these trees. According to my neighbor, they do no harm at all. They just enjoy box elders for some reason. These bugs have a reddish color.

On a warm day, they will often congregate on the side of my barn. The normally black barn develops large patches of brick red colored bugs, until they move somewhere else. They are friendly little fellas.