PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Q4 HVLP Sprayer

Brett Bobo
01-17-2012, 2:06 PM
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Fuji Q4 sprayer but I'd like to hear from owners of the Q4 system as to your likes, dislikes, limitations, your primary use with the system, etc. After doing a fair amount of research, which included talking to Jeff Jewitt, the Fuji system seems to fit my uses best as a hobbyist woodworker. My primary uses will be to spray shellac and varnish but with the latitude to spray oil based paint for built-ins, trim, balusters, etc. With that being said, I've come to understand that there's not an "all-in-one" sprayer system, whether it be hvlp, airless, AAA, or conversion gun that will cover all types of finishes or applications. I should add that I'm leaning towards the 1000cc siphon-style cup (3004-XPC), primarily because of the increased volume as compared to the gravity fed cup at 400cc.

What say you? Are there other hvlp systems that you'd consider over the Fuji Q4 and if so, why? Do you find the needle sizes provided with the system are adequate?

Thanks for the advice,
Brett

Jim Tobias
01-17-2012, 3:47 PM
I've had a Fuji Q4 for several years and like it. The first thing I sprayed with it was latex paint on some old shelf stands for the garage. It worked great. I thinned the latex maybe 5% and it came out fine. The real reason I bought it was to spary water based finishes on woodworking projects. I have been doing that for the past several years and have developed a routine/set up that works for Target finishes. I mainly use theri EM6000 and their shellac. I have also used Mixol color additive in the EM6000 and it sprayed fine.
I think no matter what unit you decide on, you will go through a (hopefully short) learning curve on adjusting the gun, adjusting spray pattern, adjusting finish flow,etc. But after a few test runs, you will know that if you are spraying finish "X", you just set the gun for what you have had success with before when you used "X".
I would also say that I did need to buy an additional tip to use with the Target finishes. It made a difference.
In the early going, I called Fugi direct several times and asked question about set up, etc . They were very helpful and if I left a message, they called back.
Good luck on whatever you choose,
Jim

Mike Ruggeri
01-18-2012, 4:37 PM
I have had my Q4 for just about 2 years. The newer models have a slightly better gun (easy fan size adjustment I believe). I have sprayed a BUNCH of white Benjamin Moore Impervo (waterbased) on built-ins, a mantle, trim, etc.. and the results are very good. I have also sprayed a small amount of waterbased clear finishes and have had good results. I agree with Jim, that once you learn to what set-up works best for a particular finish, it is pretty easy to go back and set the gun up. Overall, I would recommend the Fuji and think it is a nice system.

Jim - what tip do you find works best with EM6000 (I have some and will try it shortly)?

Mike

Jim Tobias
01-18-2012, 4:45 PM
Mike,
I use the #3(Blue). If I remember, I used the red one for the latex. Been awhile.
As you can tell, once I use it, I go by the color of the tip.

Jim

Brett Bobo
01-18-2012, 6:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. How do you believe the Fuji Q4 stacks up against say the Earlex HV6900, for example? I realize it's maybe an apples to oranges comparison between three-stage (Earlex) and four-stage (Fuji) systems but is there a noticeable difference to the user between the two to warrant the increased cost?

Clisby Clark
01-21-2012, 12:52 AM
I would like to offer a slightly different take. Unless you are in VERY tight quarters, I would recommend getting the MightyMite instead of the Q4. I have the previous generation MM4 and it's the same machine as the Q4 but without the noise reduction. I keep the turbine about 15 feet away from the booth as recommended by Fuji and have never even noticed, much less been bothered by the sound of the turbine. Probably because I'm so concentrated on the work at hand. I'll second the previous poster's thought about Fuji's great custiomer service-Paul rocks! I've called many WW vendors and they sound like they don't want to take the time to explain stuff to you. I've got one of the new-style guns on my wish list. BTW...you can run a quart cup on the new gravity gun with an adaptor. Good luck!