PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw ideas

Chris Lee
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

I am getting back in to woodworking after a couple years off. Sadly, what has brought me back was the passing of my Father in Law. I inherited his shop after he passed and have been inspired to get back to what I once loved.

My main issue is I can't decide on a table saw. I have a pretty complete shop (most every tool Festool makes and a variety of larger machinery), but I dont have a table saw. I am in the process of building a cabinet humidor and I have been able to do 90% of it without a table saw, but there are some things that to me a table saw just makes easier and faster.

I have been looking for used stuff, but it seems like everyone wants crazy money for used equipment around me (found several rusty 15 year old unisaws for $1,500). Maybe I am just out of touch with reality. I have about a $1,000 I can spend and wanted to get opinions on if there is anything in that price range that is a decent saw that you all would recommend? I prefer a cabinet style as the motor hanging out the back of contractor saws takes up a tone of shop space I really dont have.

Any advice or guidancewould be appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip Rodriquez
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I live in Denver and I see plenty of great cabinet saws, on Craigslist, that come up somewhat regularly. $700 to $1200 should get you a very decent Jet, Griz, Delta, and even an older PM66. Patience, cash, and the ability to move quickly are the keys to success.

Charles Robertson
01-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I feel you're thinking is dead on. Stay with the cabinet models. My choices would be older North American made. Delta Powermatic, General-(Canada). Others give good reports on the Griz, Jet, Shop Fox. I just prefer the older N. Am. models, but than, so am I. Your location gives you a choice of large metro areas to watch. Check your school shop auctions. Don't let 3 phase scare you off.You can get a driver for 3-phase tools for $130 or less. The 3-phase saw will be substantially less also.
Remember--patience in your quest will be rewarded.
Good luck. A

Neil Brooks
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry for your, and your wife's, loss. A hard and painful way to come into some tools that -- no doubt -- will long be special to you all.

Agreed: Unisaws, used, should be available, in good shape, for $700 - $1000, in time. You can also look at the Grizzly cabinet saws in your price range. They're well reviewed.

Good luck !

Bob Vallaster
01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Chris,

Presuming you can drive for a worthy candidate, I PMed links to a few for sale in my part of the state.
To Philip's formula for success (patience, cash, move quickly), I will add: have a go-fer at the ready. A proper cabinet saw is not a one-man lift, and some sellers can not help with the load.

BobV

scott spencer
01-17-2012, 1:02 PM
$1k will buy a nice new hybrid saw, but doesn't quite get you into a new 3hp industrial cabinet saw. The Grizzly G1023RL is $1349 shipped (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-220V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RL), and is one of the best bangs for the buck in a new saw in that price range IMHO. The G1023RLW adds a cast iron router table and leg set for $51 more. The step up to a full industrial style cabinet saw is pretty substantial compared to a good hybrid, so I view the extra expenditure as money well spent. A good used cabinet saw should keep you on budget if the right deals rolls along. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your loss.

David Kumm
01-17-2012, 1:16 PM
$700-1000 should get you a good used PM 66, General 350, or Unisaw. My preferences are in that order. $1000-1500 would get you a good PM 72 or Delta 12-14. Even better. There are aftermarket ways to cope with the riving knife issue. There is no $1500 saw even close to the old 72 or 12-14. There are cast iron saws as well that are a step up in quality and probably price as well. Used saw prices are the lowest I've ever seen. Would never consider new- even with Sawstop. Dave

Van Huskey
01-17-2012, 3:24 PM
At that price it is a new hybrid or a used cabinet saw, I like most of the others that have posted vote used cabinet, you will even have money left over for good blades.

Chris Lee
01-17-2012, 3:48 PM
Thanks all,

I think I am going to ride this out for a little bit and hope a good used saw comes up. I did find a nice Griz 1023S used a couple hours from me for about $650. Here's a link: http://york.craigslist.org/tls/2772874817.html What do you think of this? Maybe I can get him down a bit if its still available? Seems like a decent deal, but its 8 years old. An 8 year old American saw is a no brainer, but an 8 year old Griz? Im not sure. If a unisaw or similar doesnt pop up, I may go the new griz route and spend a little extra?

Joseph Tarantino
01-17-2012, 3:57 PM
not a bad saw, except for the right tilt, but it doesn't seem to be in really great shape either. splitter, no RK. short rails (26" acording to posted specs). $500-$600.

scott spencer
01-17-2012, 5:32 PM
That's a good saw, looks to be in decent shape (needs a little dusting), and $650 is a fair deal....$600 would be an even better deal, but I doubt I'd let it go over the $50.

Matt Meiser
01-17-2012, 5:45 PM
Too bad you aren't closer. I'm planning to list a restored 40's unisaw for about $800 soon.

Andrew Kertesz
01-17-2012, 6:39 PM
Take a look at the Craftsman hybrid saws.

Chris Lee
01-17-2012, 9:01 PM
Just found this. Asking him some questions but it looks good so far. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-platinum-unisaw-/150739075928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2318bfc358#ht_500wt_922

Hows this look? Seems like a more properly priced deal if it doesnt go crazy in bidding.

Michael Moscicki
01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Just found this. Asking him some questions but it looks good so far. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-platinum-unisaw-/150739075928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2318bfc358#ht_500wt_922

Hows this look? Seems like a more properly priced deal if it doesnt go crazy in bidding.

It's a $1,050 buy now, so you can always snag it up right now. That is off course if you're afraid of losing it for only a current $200 price difference versus the auction price of $850.

Neil Brooks
01-17-2012, 10:11 PM

Not sure of the distances involved, but ... if it were me, and it weren't too far ... I'd get the guy on the phone, and see about an in-person look-see.

Looks like a great saw, and a fair asking price -- even at full pop.

Joe Angrisani
01-18-2012, 9:00 AM
Not sure of the distances involved, but ... if it were me, and it weren't too far ... I'd get the guy on the phone, and see about an in-person look-see.

+1 on this. I did something similar with a major Nikon lens purchase off eBay that was being sold by a Seller here in Denver. I checked the lens out in person and made him an offer that figured in the savings he'd have on eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping hassles, and payment worries. He sold me the lens, he got cash in hand fresh from a teller at my bank, I got the lens in hand in the bank conference room for 15% less than his listing, and he simply cancelled his eBay listing (as allowed by eBay with more than 12 hours left).

I'd go see the saw with $900 in hand.

Bob Grier
01-18-2012, 9:47 AM
Others have said patience and being quick on Craigslist will pay off. This is true. I picked up a 4 or 5 year old 3 hp Unisaw with Beism fence that was still partially in the box. Had never been run. Because I was first to call I scored for very low price, well under $1000. I expect that if you use Craigslist and search criteria "Unisaw" or whatever you are looking for, and take two minutes every morning or evening to search your area, you will come up with a good saw at a reasonable price. Auctions are a good source too but may not be as convenient.

Bob

Brian Weick
01-18-2012, 9:57 AM
There is a Northfield #4 cabinet saw , it's been professionally refurbished from the ground up, 5hp - 3ph 14" saw. It looks absolutely stunning,almost new.....He is asking $1500.00 . New , this #4 new would sell for $11,500.00

I will upload a picture for you when I get some free time later on, posting a link to another site is not allowed , but I can give you his contact information if your interested...
.......very, very, nice saw bench.

B,

Alan Wright
01-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow. I was gonna say 'check the griz 1023L' till I checked scott's link. I bought mine 4 years ago for under $1,000. new one has a riving knife, but otherwise the saw looks the same. Price has gone up about $300 in 4 years. Glad I already have one. In any event, the saw generally gets good revies and I am very happy with mine. Alan

Robert Chapman
01-19-2012, 9:13 PM
My advice is to save your money and buy a Sawstop cabinet saw.

Stephen Cherry
01-19-2012, 9:42 PM
The fleabay unisaw looks pretty nice to me. Ultimately, whatever you buy, there will be a better and worse deal in the future. It's just a matter of where you want to jump in. Could you watch and wait for a year or two to get a better deal? Probably, but 1050 is a solid value for that saw. It's slightly higher than cheap.

I'm up near Baltimore, and I think I paid 900 when I bought a unisaw a few years back. Not a giveaway deal.

That said, I very much like having a sliding table. If you are serious, you may want to consider waiting for something like a hammer or felder or minimax combinaion saw/shaper. Just a thought.

David Kumm
01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
There is a Northfield #4 cabinet saw , it's been professionally refurbished from the ground up, 5hp - 3ph 14" saw. It looks absolutely stunning,almost new.....He is asking $1500.00 . New , this #4 new would sell for $11,500.00

I will upload a picture for you when I get some free time later on, posting a link to another site is not allowed , but I can give you his contact information if your interested...
.......very, very, nice saw bench.

B,

Brian, I've seen that saw listed. Not for everyone but the Northfield is in an entirely different league for the same price as a mediocre new saw. Hope it finds a good home. Above the big Delta and PM and almost a Tanny. Dave

Chris Lee
01-22-2012, 6:06 PM
Thanks for everyones advice. I ended up talking to the ebay guy and agredd on $850 for the saw. I thought it was a good deal and i picked up the saw today. Looking forward to putting her to work. I am probably going to try and sell the 52" rails and pick up a set of 36". I already have a dedicated router table and do all my sheet cutting with the festool so i think id prefer the space savings of the 36"

James White
01-22-2012, 6:53 PM
Congratulations! I just saw that it sold for $850. I was hoping it was you that got it. Let us know how it works out.

James

Kyle Brooks
01-22-2012, 9:10 PM
Chris, sorry about your Father in Law. I'm a Powermatic guy but just wanted to give you a site if you do not already have it. You can plug in a distance and what you are looking for and it will search craigs list for you. The site is searchtempest (http://www.searchtempest.com), and good luck to you on finding your saw.