PDA

View Full Version : Table saw fence isn't flat

Bobby O'Neal
01-17-2012, 8:09 AM
I noticed recently that my fence has developed a shallow spot right in line with the blade. It's maybe 1/64 or 1/32. I haven't measured, that's just a guess. So the question is, is it worth finding someone to machine it flat again or just attach a hardwood face? If I go for the hardwood, what is the best method to attach it? The fence is a Delta T2 that I've been quite happy with up to this point.

Todd Burch
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
A good temp fix is a piece of scrap and double-sticky tape.

scott spencer
01-17-2012, 1:04 PM
Can you shim behind the face to straighten it out?

Bobby O'Neal
01-17-2012, 1:28 PM
Can you shim behind the face to straighten it out?

I'll have to look closer at that. What would make a good shim for such a small error?

Mike Goetzke
01-17-2012, 1:45 PM
I'll have to look closer at that. What would make a good shim for such a small error?

I have a Biese fence on my Uni and had the same problem. Don't know if your fence is similar but I was able to carefully pry the fence out enough to push some shim stock in there. A few years back I bought a package of plastic shim stock - it's has been well worth it over the years.

Mike

glenn bradley
01-17-2012, 2:39 PM
I have a Biese fence on my Uni and had the same problem. Don't know if your fence is similar but I was able to carefully pry the fence out enough to push some shim stock in there. A few years back I bought a package of plastic shim stock - it's has been well worth it over the years.

Mike

I have some brass shim stock but, have used cut up strips of aluminum can to build to the desired thickness with good success. The aluminum is OK as long as there are pressures capable of squishing it and your fince would not present these kinds of forces.