PDA

View Full Version : Another Mesquite Bowl

Kathy Marshall
01-17-2012, 3:06 AM
When I got home from work my plan was to just rough turn the outside and then make it an early night, so much for planning ahead. Once the outside was finish turned and sanded, I told myself I was just going to turn down the face (took off over an inch), then I said I was just going to get the inside rim done. I was already to bag it up for the night when I started thinking if it moved at all, I would have to retrue the inside. Before I knew it I was turning off the bottom, signing and applying a coat of Walnut oil. I looked at the clock and it was just past midnight :eek:. Maybe tomorrow will be an early night!

It's 9 1/2" x about 4", the broken beads are for David Keller :D. The blank started out about 11" x 6" and I turned quite a bit off the outside due to a limb and big bark inclusion. I almost turned the bark inclusion completely away, but that would have taken another 1" off the diameter and I was really wanting a bigger bowl. So I ended up turning most of it away and just left a little up by the rim.
The rim is just under 1/2" and is undercut so the walls are about 3/8" or so.

Time for bed now!

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bill Boehme
01-17-2012, 3:37 AM
OK, so you finished up early. What are you going to do for the remainder of the evening -- start another bowl?

Beautiful bowl, BTW. I like the very interesting orientation with sapwood on just one side. I also like the rim treatment.

Dan Forman
01-17-2012, 4:50 AM
Kathy --- I'm with you about preferring to turn off rim bark inclusions, but in this case you would have lost not only the size you were after, but probably all or most of the contrasting sap wood, so this was the best option. The wood is beautiful, like the beads on the outside, and the bottom ls pretty danged fancy too. :)

Dan

John Keeton
01-17-2012, 5:26 AM
Another sweet bowl, Kathy! Have you kept count of how many you have turned - bowls and forms??

Michelle Rich
01-17-2012, 6:37 AM
ooooh ooohhh...pretty

Doug W Swanson
01-17-2012, 7:35 AM
Another great looking bowl, Kathy!

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2012, 8:07 AM
Very pretty bowl Kathy! Thanks for sharing!

Curt Fuller
01-17-2012, 8:41 AM
Wow, what a beauty!

Tom Winship
01-17-2012, 8:54 AM
Sweet! Mine and your favorite wood! Love the beading on the bottom.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-17-2012, 9:17 AM
rizona mesquite that dark? Texas mesquite is much lighter.Lovely bowl, by the way. Max

Tim Rinehart
01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I like it. Makes me want to go start something with my mesquite piece from you !! The bead is cool, I like how something that simple takes it to the next level.
I also am curious, what tool are you using for your decorative ring on bottom, an elf tool or similar?

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Beautiful bowl Kathy. I do like the beading and the wood speaks for itself.

Donny Lawson
01-17-2012, 4:55 PM
Thats another great looking bowl. I love the colors.

charlie knighton
01-17-2012, 7:19 PM
Kathy very nice, love mesquite, i turned 2 Kokopelli's and a mesquite bowl but its for a juried gallery, still waiting to hear if in or out, something about everything must be in a frame????, i wonder how they like it, items must not have be shown anywhere else,

David E Keller
01-17-2012, 8:01 PM
I'm honored that you would think of me! I think it's a really nice looking bowl... The bark area almost looks like it's been charred or burned, and I suppose you know how I feel about the interrupted beads! Gorgeous stuff!

Baxter Smith
01-17-2012, 8:07 PM
Sweet bowl Kathy! Between the wood, the form and the beads, it sure is pretty!

Kathy Marshall
01-17-2012, 8:35 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Another sweet bowl, Kathy! Have you kept count of how many you have turned - bowls and forms??
A couple months ago I did a quick count of the ones I had pics of and it was around 290. I've probably done another 20 or so since then, and probably 20-30 that I never took pics of.

rizona mesquite that dark? Texas mesquite is much lighter.Lovely bowl, by the way. Max
Depends on the variety, some are more golden, some are more of a gray-brown in varying shades (I like the darker ones best).

I like it. Makes me want to go start something with my mesquite piece from you !! The bead is cool, I like how something that simple takes it to the next level.
I also am curious, what tool are you using for your decorative ring on bottom, an elf tool or similar?
I used my elf tool. Works ok on green mesquite, but it's much better on dry wood with a tighter grain.

I'm honored that you would think of me! I think it's a really nice looking bowl... The bark area almost looks like it's been charred or burned, and I suppose you know how I feel about the interrupted beads! Gorgeous stuff!
I'm glad you told me you would have liked to see an interrupted bead on another post (I think it was the mesquite burl bowl). It gave me the idea to try it on this one and I like how it turned out.

Ed Morgano
01-17-2012, 8:38 PM
Kathy,
Another beauty. I've been meaning to ask, do you sell your work or are you just building up an inventory? If you're not selling items yet, you should have enough inventory to open a small "super" store. :D

Kathy Marshall
01-17-2012, 9:02 PM
Kathy,
Another beauty. I've been meaning to ask, do you sell your work or are you just building up an inventory? If you're not selling items yet, you should have enough inventory to open a small "super" store. :D
I've sold some to family and friends, given away quite a bit, and have lots scattered about on most of the horizontal surfaces. Just tonight I ran across a tote bag full of stuff that I had taken to show someone (they bought 3 pieces), that I had completely forgot about, not to mention all the pieces still buried on the workbench in the shop.
I really need a real shop with some room to spread out!

Roland Martin
01-18-2012, 6:34 AM
Very nice bowl, Kathy. I think the bark inclusion adds quite a lot of interest and the bottom decorations are really neat.