PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to get good with this?

Roger Chandler
01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Last week I ordered some items from CS-USA, and among the items was a cub writer.........to sign the bottoms of my turnings pyrographically.

Do any of you folks have and use this unit and pen, and if so, how do you like it? Is there a learning curve with it? Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/main/cub.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Roger I have the Optima 1 with a small ball tip. It does take some getting used to especially with the pressure applied. Practice on some scrap wood and it will come.

Bob Bergstrom
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Get a round pen tip. It is a lot less likely to catch in the grain of the wood. Allows a smoother flowing burn than a point.

Eric Gourieux
01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Roger,
Please post your experience with your new Cub. I have been toying with the idea of ordering the same unit to sign my pieces as well.

Ken Glass
01-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Roger,
I have that one too. I tried so many times to get better with it and I just got more frustrated. I could never get the result to look like a signature, even with the smallest bit made. I Hope you have better results than I did. I went back to Archival pens and haven't looked back.

Baxter Smith
01-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Roger, I have had that model about a year and a half. I only got the writing tip with it because I just wanted to sign my work at the . The heat goes up to 10 but I find anything above 5 is often too hot for writing slowly and carefully. The tip can catch in the grain if you press too hard or are not careful. They also make a ball tip that you can write with. I don't know if that would be better or not. You can get a variety of the razor tip pens to use with it. I have yet to try any decorative work though plan on it when some of my holly and beech is dry.

Mark Levitski
01-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Ditto on a ball tip. Makes it a lot easier. We had a standard "writing" tip for our Razortip burner, then got a ball point. Big difference. It is like learning to turn, though--burning endgrain gives you similar challenges.