PDA

View Full Version : Latest creation

Scott Lux
01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
My wife has a decorated cookie business and needs to store bottles of frosting tip down to keep the frosting good. She's been using drinking glasses with a damp paper towel. I decided (with some prompting) that she needed something better.

This thing has holes for 15 frosting bottles along with holes for booboo sticks (yellow thing in the pic) and tweezers. I added magnetic tape to the side for straight pins and whatever else is needed.

My original idea was wood with a plastic surface, but that seemed too prone to failure/slop. So I came up with this idea. It's a solid-surface countertop material (like Corian) called Meganite. This color is Desert Sand. More importantly, this color was in the scrap section of my local countertop shop so cost was better. The bottom is on a lazy-susan (now called a lazy Scott) and is dished so a sponge can stay damp with slopping out.

I think I have about nine hours in this one. But most of that is because it's the prototype. If there is a 2nd, I think I can get that down to 3 hours or so. Solid acrylics are seriously prone to chipping. I ended up making four discs to get three that I could use. $52 for the whole project, and enough Meganite left over to do a smaller project and some pens.

Because this is a working piece, I didn't sand the inside of the holes. If I make another I probably will sand those.

Comments and critiques please.

P.S. Acrylic is seriously dusty stuff. It's going to take quite a while to clean the garage.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Ingenious!

Ted Calver
01-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Creative and functional. There should be plenty of frosting spoons to lick in your future :)

Michelle Rich
01-17-2012, 6:46 AM
I love it when folks make useful items on their lathes. I bet your wife is thrilled. (by the way, I've always called them lazy scotts :-) ) Great idea...

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2012, 8:09 AM
Great idea and really nice work Scott! I would have to think that the material used would hold up under those conditions quite well! Your wife must love it!! Thanks for sharing!

Scott Lux
01-17-2012, 9:43 AM
No pics, it didn't happen. So here's a pic of what she creates. They taste better than they look.

Tim Rinehart
01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Very clever. I thought about some sort of carousel to hold my wife's K-cup coffee thingys...but then she wouldn't need that ugly bowl I turned a couple years ago to hold them! :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Cool and functional.