PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Rooke Turners

Baxter Smith
01-16-2012, 8:52 PM
My son is on winter break and was only scheduled to work 3 days a week. About 10 days ago, I asked him if he wanted to try turning a bowl. He must have been bored because he showed up and gave it a shot.

Guess he enjoyed it because he tried number two a week later. Gave him a piece of the beech that he had helped me lug out of the woods several days before.

Grabbed this picture before he left that evening.

This morning, I cut the piece of beech stump I had dragged home into one large block with the chainsaw. Was just about to mount it on the lathe to rough out a decent sized HF, when someone else appeared in the shop. Said they were bored and wanted to take me up on my mornings offer to try turning a bowl. The beech went back outside and in came a small piece of leftover holly. Cut out a blank on the bandsaw and they were off!

Since she just passed her nursing boards a couple weeks ago, I am hoping she will soon be employed as an RN. (even if I do have an extra lathe!):D
Comments or thoughts are always welcome!

David E Keller
01-16-2012, 9:01 PM
Apparently, the ability to turn a great looking bowl is genetic! Congrats on getting your kiddos to spend a little time with the 'old man'!

Roger Chandler
01-16-2012, 9:05 PM
Great family effort........that is super Baxter........I wish my sons were interested in turning..........

charlie knighton
01-16-2012, 9:43 PM
super Baxter, get um wanting to turn, maybe dangle a symposium trip in front of them.......my 1st symposium was a regional one, i was just amazed that people gathered together for turning.........now a national symposium may be a little overwhelming.....but they have time.....

Jim Burr
01-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Well done dad!! Spare holly? What? Gratz to the kids and especially the little Ms Smith on the RN boards...they ain't easy! Bowls aren't either so it would appear they had a good example!

Rich Aldrich
01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
He obviously saw how much fun the old man was having and had to give it a spin (pardon the pun). Congrats. I cant get my kids near the shop.

Thomas Canfield
01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
What took them so long to get started? You might look into some more heat for the cold shop to get more visitors. Great looking bowls for both.

Alan Trout
01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Baxter.

That is really cool. Looks like it was a good time by all.

Alan

Mike Cruz
01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Comments? What else is there to say but AWESOME!

Jeff Fagen
01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
They must be at the age where Dad is getting smarter,I'm still waiting.

Ken Glass
01-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Baxter,
It's extremely heartwarming to see a family enjoying turning so much together. What a great looking couple of kids. Thanks for posting.

Baxter Smith
01-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. I am fortunate.

Apparently, the ability to turn a great looking bowl is genetic! ........!
David, apparently the 80 grit powersanding gene is a dominant one.;):)

super Baxter, get um wanting to turn, maybe dangle a symposium trip in front of them.......
Charlie, I was glad to see them give it a try and have a good time. That would be fun but I'm not sure their eyes wouldn't roll back if a trip like that was suggested though. :)

What took them so long to get started? You might look into some more heat for the cold shop to get more visitors. .......
Its not that cold out there.:DThe heater is left at 60 all the time unless I am finishing. Having to pick chips and sawdust out of her fleece later might sour her memories so I gave her the windbreaker. My son got the one I wear when turning but thought my daughter might prefer something a little cleaner.;)

John Keeton
01-17-2012, 5:32 AM
Great pics, Baxter!! I have hoped my kids would take an interest in woodworking, and finally one of the boys turned a bowl. I hope to post about it in a few days. Not much is more gratifying than to have one's children share an interest.

Roland Martin
01-17-2012, 7:11 AM
Now, that is fantastic, not one, but two! Life is good isn't it. Just this weekend, I spent a little time with my 5 year old grandson at the lathe, he only had one hand on the tool while I was turning, but the gleam in his eyes behind the face shield was awesome.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2012, 7:33 AM
Now that's cool! Great photos Baxter and great looking kids!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-17-2012, 8:08 AM
Bax,
I'm green with envy. My son has had a love affair with cars since he was old enough to walk. He has never had as much as one second when he wanted to be in the shop with me. I haven't given up hope, though. My daughter has a little son. Maybe he will enjoy woodwork. I surely have the place and tools for him.
faust

Hayes Rutherford
01-17-2012, 8:42 AM
Baxter turns a bowl......49.95
Your kids turn a bow.......... Priceless !!!

Russell Eaton
01-17-2012, 8:46 AM
My daughter turned a pen last year for her teacher. I had alot mor fun than her. She still hangs out while i turn. Enjoy.

allen thunem
01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
They must be at the age where Dad is getting smarter,I'm still waiting.

you are gonna wait along time for that to happen

Tim Rinehart
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Very cool Baxter...the joy must have been all yours! Congrats on such a fun time with the family in the shop. They are in good hands!

Scott Hackler
01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Very cool Baxter. I wish my son was interested in turning. It actually kinda funny to think that when he was in High School shop, he turned a couple small bowls and showed an interest and I used that as a partial justification to buy the lathe and extras. After I got "set up" he was done with shop class and not interested in the lathe at all! I looked at it as a kinda bummer.....but more lathe time for me! :)

Jon Nuckles
01-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Congrats on getting the kids to join you in the shop. I am hoping my son will join me in the shop, but college age boys have other interests! I'd feel better about all my tool purchases if I thought I could pass them on to him someday.

Dan Forman
01-17-2012, 1:54 PM
Life doesn't get much better than that! Fine looking kids, and the smiles say everything.

Dan

Robert Newton
01-17-2012, 4:28 PM
Looks like the vortex just sucked two more in, great job.

Bill Wyko
01-17-2012, 6:24 PM
Always great when turning can become a family affair. My only concern is your daughters sleeves being so baggy. Don't want any articles of clothing getting caught in a spinny thing.

Baxter Smith
01-17-2012, 8:05 PM
Thanks again!

They must be at the age where Dad is getting smarter.......
Unfortunately, Dad is getting to the age where just the opposite is happening!:) I am not exactly a rookie at proofreading so you might think I would remember to do it for the title before posting. I have figured out how to edit a post and fix a typo, but haven't mastered the "fix a title"part yet. Anyone who has mastered that, care to share?:D

........I have hoped my kids would take an interest in woodworking, and finally one of the boys turned a bowl. I hope to post about it in a few days. Not much is more gratifying than to have one's children share an interest.
So true John! I am looking forward to your post!

Now, that is fantastic, not one, but two! Life is good isn't it. Just this weekend, I spent a little time with my 5 year old grandson at the lathe, he only had one hand on the tool while I was turning, but the gleam in his eyes behind the face shield was awesome.
Someday I may do that with my 3 year old great nephews who are with us during the school day. For now, they just get to use the shovel and broom. They are getting pretty good at it. Almost half goes where its suppose to!;):)

Bax,
I'm green with envy. My son has had a love affair with cars since he was old enough to walk. He has never had as much as one second when he wanted to be in the shop with me. I haven't given up hope, though. My daughter has a little son. Maybe he will enjoy woodwork. I surely have the place and tools for him.
faust
You never know when a persons interests will change Faust. My sons interest is computers. He would far rather put those together than swing a hammer. Fortunately he is willing to help out the "old man" from time to time!

Congrats on getting the kids to join you in the shop. I am hoping my son will join me in the shop, but college age boys have other interests! I'd feel better about all my tool purchases if I thought I could pass them on to him someday.
My kids used to argue about who's going to be stuck with all Dads wood.(That was before I started turning) Now its who's going to be stuck with Dad's roughed out bowls.:rolleyes::)

Kathy Marshall
01-17-2012, 8:48 PM
A couple of good looking bowls and a couple of good looking kids! Just watch that they don't get too interested and take over the shop :eek:!

Ed Morgano
01-17-2012, 9:58 PM
Great family and great pictures of the work produced. They do seem to have a talent. Are you sure they haven't been turning behind your back?:)

Sid Matheny
01-18-2012, 1:23 AM
This is GREAT stuff and you are a good leader!!!

Sid

Rick Markham
01-18-2012, 1:58 AM
Cool beans Baxter! Turning is a magical thing, glad to see you're passing it around to the ones that matter ;)