PDA

View Full Version : First Platter

Tom Winship
01-16-2012, 6:49 PM
A lady gave me a piece of oak yesterday that had been a table decoration at her daughters recent wedding and was curious what I could do with it so they could give to the daughter.
So I turned the platter today. All end grain and lots of CA in the cracks. Think it turned out okay. Hopefully, they will have it laser engravied to commemorate the wedding.
Sanded to 600 and buffed with Beeswax. Platter is slightly over 11" (Largest thing I have done to date) and 1 1/2" high.
C&C invited.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2012, 6:53 PM
I hope that oak was good and dry as the pith in it is likely to crack big time ........unless that piece has already done most of its movement. Nice work Tom! I hope your new lathe treats you well when you get it!

Nate Davey
01-16-2012, 7:00 PM
I'm not a huge fan of oak, but this is great. Very nicely done.

Jim Burr
01-16-2012, 7:27 PM
Wow Tom!! This one has all sorts of movement and character! Ya done good!

John Keeton
01-16-2012, 7:33 PM
Very nice!!!! I bet that was not an "easy turn!" Turning oak is rough enough, but end grain has to be 10X as bad. Great work, and I do hope it stays together for you. Oak is very prone to cracking and with it being end grain, the odds go up quite a bit.

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2012, 7:57 PM
Repeat after me:

It will not crack...
It will not crack...
It will not crack...
It will not crack...
It will not crack...
It will not crack...

Now that we have settled that, I think this is an amazing "first" effort. It's a fine looking platter and the figure in the wood really brings it to life.

David E Keller
01-16-2012, 8:09 PM
Looks great to me! As you know, this isn't the strongest grain orientation for a platter, so it might be best to ensure that it's only used for display purposes. If someone showed me a piece of oak like that and asked what I could make from it... My response would be, "Nothing!"... You're a better man than I am!

Dan Forman
01-16-2012, 8:17 PM
That looks great, was it dry when you started?

Dan

Jamie Donaldson
01-16-2012, 8:20 PM
OOohhh boy, dry oak turned end grain,......what FUN!!!! Good luck with the possible checking. What kind of wedding table decoration could it have been????

Baxter Smith
01-16-2012, 8:20 PM
Great work on the platter! If it was not completely dry to begin with, it might be a good idea to put it in a paperbag in the coolest place possible and leave it alone for as long as possible and add more CA as necessary. No point in rushing it to dry. Hope it makes it. It will be a wonderful keepsake.

Pete Jordan
01-16-2012, 8:21 PM
That would have worn me out.

Steve Vaughan
01-16-2012, 8:23 PM
Yup, that's a beautiful platter right there! Wonderful grain pattern and colors!

Don Alexander
01-16-2012, 11:51 PM
i see i'm not the only one turning oak hehe

nicely done Tom

Scott Hackler
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Nice Tom. I am sure it will be loved.

Kathy Marshall
01-17-2012, 2:46 AM
It looks great Tom, really nice job! Hope it stays together for you!

Michelle Rich
01-17-2012, 6:39 AM
rustic & interesting..good first!

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2012, 8:17 AM
Wow! What a beauty!! Very nice work Tom! The bride is going to love it!!

Tom Winship
01-17-2012, 9:00 AM
Thanks all. I knew it was risky when I started, but John Keeton's 50 year anniversary platter post he had on here came to mind.
Don't know what the table decoration was, but now I'm kind of happy they are not going to engrave it. If you engrave it and it shatters, very bad karma.
Want to make one for my brother from mesquite (grain orientation the correct way). Their 50th anniversary slipped by last year without us remembering it. So will make a late commemoration.

Robert Henrickson
01-17-2012, 9:51 AM
Beautiful. Oak can provide some really beautiful grain, like this one. It can be well worth turning, as your platter demonstrates.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Beautiful piece Tom.

Tom Winship
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, it was "Queen for a Day".

It did crack.
It did crack.
It did crack bad.
It did crack bad.

When it is through doing its' thing, I will send wreckage pictures.