PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

Dan Forman
01-16-2012, 6:14 PM
Hays Rutherford and his lovely wife stopped by today for a visit, though for some unfathomable reason Dorothy had her daughter come and pick her up for the afternoon rather than come down into the dungeon with us to play with toys. :)

Sorry, no pics, as time was short...well, actually, I plum forgot...and Hayes did have to go see his dentist.

We did the usual catching up and show and tell, then descended to the lower level to try out some new stuff, including the high speed sander and the Skwaper. Hayes brought a birch roughout with him, and commenced to finish turn it. I'll let him give you his impressions of each, suffice it to say we had a good time and managed to create some shavings and dust in the process. No velcro was destroyed nor wood burned during the sanding, though I thought I saw a Higgs bosons or two mixed in with the dust produced from the sander:)

Dan

Jim Burr
01-16-2012, 6:34 PM
Waa Hoo! Glad you two met up! May have to head north to get some instruction!

Bill Hensley
01-16-2012, 7:12 PM
You probably ought to contact the folks at CERN ASAP. There might be some reward money!

David E Keller
01-16-2012, 8:33 PM
Let me get this straight... Hayes is only part of the way through 19 metric tons of turning blanks from a single maple log, and all he brought was a birch rough out that he proceeded to take back with him? Hmmmmm...

Dan Forman
01-16-2012, 8:43 PM
Actually, he's done with the monster log, it's all been converted to bowls, dust, and curlies. All of the roughouts are large boxes and frozen in his shop. I told him to bring a dry one to play with, and he graciously left it here with me.

Dan

Baxter Smith
01-16-2012, 9:03 PM
Sounds like a good time. Going to the dentist dosn't sound like a fun way to get away from turning that monster maple though.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Creeker visits are always the best although visiting the dentist doesn't sound like fun.

Mike Cruz
01-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Bernie, I agree...Creeker visits are the best. Glad you both had a great time, Dan. But next time, take some pics, would ya?

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2012, 8:55 AM
Sounds like it would have been a great photo op! Glad you guys had fun!!

Hayes Rutherford
01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I guess my wife did leave come to think of it. Anyway now I have a serious case of tool envy starting with Dan's grinder then on to skews, scrapers and gouges. The CBN wheels do such a nice job that I started crying and Dan was nice enough to give me a Norton 3x wheel that was wore down to 7" so I would stop. (will work on my 7") When he wasn't looking I tried to swipe his un handled Dway skew but it had been ground on the 180 grit wheel and when I put it in my pocket it went right through the bottom and down my leg to the floor.

I got to use Dan's newest sanding system and liked it alot. I had read Bill Neddow's article some time ago and simply tried sanding at higher speed with what I had on hand and had mixed results, coming away with the idea that it was simply another approach that could be learned. Using the proper grinder, pads, and paper, convinced me that I wasn't coming close to efficient high speed sanding. It works well!!

Dan, Higgs bosuns???? you DO have some good lenses!!!

I know, no photo it didn't happen so here were are in the basement workshop.

Dan Forman
01-17-2012, 2:09 PM
Great pic Hayes, must have whipped out your cell phone when I wasn't looking. :D

Dan