PDA

View Full Version : Thin walled PVC tube (or something)

Royce Meritt
03-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Need to pick your collective brains. I have made some wooden fishing rod tubes in the past. Previously, I have lined these tubes with some very thin walled PVC tubing that is made for central vacuum cleaner systems. This is not always easy to find. Not all plumbing supply stores stock it regularly. Can anyone think of another type of tube that would serve the same purpose? It needs to be about 2" in diameter and quite thin walled. The central vacuum tubing is, of course, rigid. It wouldn't need to be because the wooden tube that it is going inside of will keep it straight. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Royce,

I can't help with a source, but I was wondering why you needed to line these?

Jeff

Royce Meritt
03-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Royce,

I can't help with a source, but I was wondering why you needed to line these?

Jeff

Sorry, should have explained that part. The purpose of the PVC tube is so that I can, first, line the PVC tube with a slippery nylon material and then slide the nylon lined PVC tube into the octagonal shaped wooden rod tube. Lining the PVC tube is A LOT easier than trying to line the octagonal wooden tube.

Per Swenson
03-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Its just a thought, but have you ever considered tool dip?
I would just pour it in and pour it out.
Hope this helps.
Per
NONFLAMMABLE FLEXIBLE PLASTIC DIP COATING

Water-based acrylic material dries to the consistency of plastic
Protects virtually any surface
Prevents rust and corrosion, insulates against heat and cold and adds gripping power
Ideal for tool handles. Stays flexible in subzero temperatures and resists heat to 200° F. Won't chip or peel. Lasts years.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Royce....There is a possibility that you might find some thin wall pvc 2" at a irrigation supply place. Here in the west irrigation is quite common. I didn't notice where you are located. If you'd like I can contact a local irrigation supply place and see if such is available.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Sorry, should have explained that part. The purpose of the PVC tube is so that I can, first, line the PVC tube with a slippery nylon material and then slide the nylon lined PVC tube into the octagonal shaped wooden rod tube. Lining the PVC tube is A LOT easier than trying to line the octagonal wooden tube.
Royce,

Thanks for explaining! The process is much clearer now! Good luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Royce....I just checked with a local irrigation/sprinkler supply place. They carry 2" 200psi pvc. They also informed me that manufacturers make a 160 and 125 psi PVC 2" which would have even thinner walls. Hope this helps!

Randy Meijer
03-15-2005, 3:13 PM
.....so that I can, first, line the PVC tube with a slippery nylon material and then slide the nylon lined PVC tube into the octagonal shaped wooden rod tube.....
Guess I am still not getting the whole picture??? PVC is pretty slippery all by itself. Why do you need to line the PVC and exactly what is the "slippery nylon material"??

Royce Meritt
03-15-2005, 3:26 PM
Guess I am still not getting the whole picture??? PVC is pretty slippery all by itself. Why do you need to line the PVC and exactly what is the "slippery nylon material"??

#1- The nylon won't scratch the rods and hardware

#2- Makes the rods slide in and out easy.

#3- The black nylon material looks REALLY nice inside the wooden rod tube.

#4- The octagonal wooden tubes are made from 8 pieces of stock approx. 3' long, glued into an octagon. The inner nylon lined PVC tube covers up any glue squeeze out, etc. from the glue up.

Randy Meijer
03-15-2005, 3:41 PM
.....and exactly what is the "slippery nylon material"??

Liquid coating, cut sheets, fabric, tubes or ??? Thanks.

Royce Meritt
03-15-2005, 3:51 PM
Liquid coating, cut sheets, fabric, tubes or ??? Thanks.

Sorry. Missed your point. The nylon is simply nylon fabric, sawn into a tube slightly longer than the PVC tube. The Nylon fabric is inserted into the PVC tube and the ends folded over the ends on the PVC tube and secured, thus lining the inside of the PVC tube with the nylon fabric tube. This "nylon lined PVC tube" is then slid into the octagonal wooden tube.

Randy Meijer
03-15-2005, 4:25 PM
Got it now. Thanks!!!

Ray Bersch
03-15-2005, 5:27 PM
Royce, try US Plastics Corp at www.usplastic.com/catalog (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog) They have a product called Ecelon R-2000 which is 2 1/2" OD and 1/16" thick and they sell it in 6 ft lengths - or look around in their catalog - you may find what you want

Ray

Fred Chan
03-15-2005, 6:05 PM
Royce, go check at your local print shops. They discard the center core from paper rolls. The ones I have collected are stiff thin wall 2" diameter plastic and are probably exactly what you are looking for.:)

Jamie Buxton
03-15-2005, 8:39 PM
Something like these?

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_3651.asp
http://www.visipak.com/clear_plastic_tubes.shtml

Google with "plastic packaging supplies tubes"

Jamie Buxton
03-15-2005, 8:57 PM
There's also tube guards. These are thin-wall plastic tubes which slip over fluorescent tubes to protect them in hazardous locations. For instance

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/subcategory.asp?sub=160

The T number on fluorescent lamps is something like the outer diameter of the tube in eigths of an inch, so a tube guard for a T12 or a T17 lamp might be close to what you're looking for.

Steve Stube
03-15-2005, 9:09 PM
Jamie, I could hardly keep it in (my idea) as I read the other post - Flor. lite tube protectors - then I flip the page and you have it. Oh well.

Mark Rakestraw
03-16-2005, 6:06 AM
I get mine where I bought our central vacuum. Look in the yellow pages under vacuum cleaners and call around. It should be easy to find.
Mark

Ed Snyder
03-16-2005, 6:46 AM
What about a rubber rad hose

Ed

Mark J Bachler
03-16-2005, 7:52 AM
No ideas but, You make fishing rods? If they're anywhere as nice as your duck calls let's talk.6'6" to 7' 1pc medium light walleye rod.

Royce Meritt
03-16-2005, 8:30 AM
No ideas but, You make fishing rods? If they're anywhere as nice as your duck calls let's talk.6'6" to 7' 1pc medium light walleye rod.

I actually have made a couple of fishing rods. Mostly fly rods, however. I am going to make myself a walleye rod just like you described in the near future. I'm not sure if they are as good my duck calls or not. My wooden rod tubes, however, ARE as nice as the calls. I'm working on a couple right now. I'll post a picture when they are done.

Royce Meritt
03-16-2005, 9:51 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll definately check some of them out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!! :)

Steve Stube
03-20-2005, 12:27 AM
These folks can provide you with all the PVC vacuum pipe you need. Availability as close as your computer or phone.

http://builtinvacuum.com/retail/shopretail.php?category_id=105

40 foot for $43.00 plus

$8.99
Flat Shipping Fee
Order all you want.

Order $300.00 worth and the shipping is free.