PDA

View Full Version : Parts for Record 043 Plough Plane

Michael Ray Smith
01-16-2012, 4:35 PM
I recently bought a Record 043 with only one cutter (the 1/8") and no depth stop. Although I'd like to have all the parts, I can probably live without the depth stop and the 3/16" cutter, but I need the 1/4" cutter. Anyone know where I can get replacement parts? Or can anyone make the cutters for me? They're VERY simple, but I have virtually no metalworking tools or skills.

Jim Koepke
01-16-2012, 4:42 PM
Can the Record 043 use blades from the Stanley 45?

I would be surprised if one of them couldn't be made to work.

jtk

Greg Wease
01-16-2012, 5:24 PM
You can order them from The Old Tool Store in England:

http://www.oldtoolstore.com/

I don't know any local sources.

Jim Belair
01-16-2012, 5:28 PM
The Veritas small plow blades fit. I have a Record 043 that came with all blades but was interested in getting others. Notice the Veritas narrow blades (1/8 & 3/16) have a shoulder that makes the blade clamp alot easier to secure. The original Record smaller blades can be a PITA.

Here's the reply from LV Customer Service
The Veritas blades are 3-1/4" long and 1/8" thick, they should work fine in the Record 043. The original blades for the 043 did not have a slot because the 043 did not have a depth adjuster. The Veritas blades have a slot.

Jim B

Sean Richards
01-16-2012, 5:29 PM
You can get a complete set of blades from the UK

http://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/planes/plane_blades,_cutters,_irons/Replacement_Plough_Plane_Cutters_-_043.html

Depth stop is dead easy to make you need a piece of 7/32" rod (you might want to check this but I think that is correct) and a piece of plate of suitable size - then get someone to silver solder the bits together.

Jack Curtis
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
The Veritas small plow blades fit. I have a Record 043 that came with all blades but was interested in getting others. Notice the Veritas narrow blades (1/8 & 3/16) have a shoulder that makes the blade clamp alot easier to secure. The original Record smaller blades can be a PITA. ...

Did you buy blades for the right or left hand plow?

Bill Houghton
01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know if these will fit, but they might/should: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ploughcutters.html Let me know how thick your cutter is, and I can check these cutters (I have fluting cutters, but the thickness should be the same); I probably can't do it until Wednesday, though. You can send me an e-mail if you prefer: arbuch@sonic.net.

Jim Belair
01-17-2012, 7:09 AM
Did you buy blades for the right or left hand plow?

Right hand, but it only matters on the smaller blades (with the shoulder). In the larger sizes the only difference in LH & RH is which side the slot is on. Slot of course is not required on the Record. LV doesn't show detail of the blades on their website but do in the print catalog.

Jim B

Michael Ray Smith
01-17-2012, 7:22 AM
Thanks, Bill, but I have the cutter problem solved with some Record 405 cutters. Still haven't found a depth stop, but it sounds as if they're easy to make.

Jim Koepke
01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Still haven't found a depth stop, but it sounds as if they're easy to make.

I think the shaft size on some of the smaller plow planes is either 6 mm or 7/32". As I recall, the depth stops for the Stanley 45 & 55 are 1/4".

Probably easier to just make one than it will be to find one.

jtk

Jack Curtis
01-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Right hand, but it only matters on the smaller blades (with the shoulder). In the larger sizes the only difference in LH & RH is which side the slot is on. Slot of course is not required on the Record. LV doesn't show detail of the blades on their website but do in the print catalog.

Jim B

Thanks, Jim, a couple of the blades are now in my LV cart.

Michael Ray Smith
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
The shaft on the 405 depth stop is too large for the 043, so you're probably right about the Stanleys, too.