PDA

View Full Version : Delta 12" RAS

Jack Stinnett
01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
I purchased a 12" Delta 33-790 from a guy off the Phoenix craigslist. As part of the
sale ,I got a discount because the saw would not crank up or down, andhad no plug on cord.

Since purchase I have all motions working, and motor running. Early disassembly indicates a broken
crank shaft gear ( plastic ), and stripped lock nut and stripped end of vertical shaft / screw.

My first question is what is the best way to disassemble the shaft housing from the base?
I think ,I unbolt the base frame from the cast iron housing and back the screw / shaft out
after removing the bent cotter pin. Is this correct?

The second question is what will i find inside the housing ? I think there will be a collar or
piece driven up by the turning shaft screw. If so does the need to be removed , if so - how ?

The saw was origionally in a school workshop likely used as a " cut off " and never moved
up and down. I am sure WD-40 and some force will be requresd to get it to move again.
Suggestions on the best way not to damage the parts.

Any help greatly appreciated - I have had and liked Sears RAS , but this baby is the real deal
( took 3 guys to put it in my truck ) and I like "heavy metal ".

Thanks
Jack Stinnett

Alan Wright
01-19-2012, 9:37 PM
Jack I have the same saw and love it. I got mine for $200 off craigslist. I think it qualifies as a gloat. I can't answer your question unfortunately, but I was at a local woodworking shop trying to get a part and the owner (who is VERY) knowledgable took me out back to show me a similar saw he was working on. He was replacing the "plastic" gear you are refering to. I mention that it seemed off that a saw so stout would have a plastic gear??? He said they are actuall made of kevlar, which makes a little more sence. Just an FYI.... alan

David Winer
01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Man, you did well. That is the saw I was searching for on Craig's L when I found its bigger brother 14" Delta RAS. These are superb machines.

This is a link to parts (http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Radial-Arm-Saws-Parts-Lists_2290.aspx) for your saw, and here is a link to a parts list with drawings (http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2338) from the Vintage Machinery website.

This particular radial arm saw can be much more than a cut-off saw if you learn to use its capabilities.

Kirk Poore
01-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Don't use WD-40. Use a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench--it's much, much better. Give it time, like half a day or more to penetrate the stuck area. Beyond that, post some pictures when you've gotten to a part that you're worried about.

Kirk

Jack Stinnett
01-26-2012, 8:50 PM
Guys
Thanks for advice . Current status is - motor running and all movements free.

On the elevation problem - I have it moving and am searching parts web sites
for 2 plastic gears , a brg and a couple of lock pins. Will advise how it progresses-
but this saw is great and I can wait to cut some wood.

Jack

Aaron Berk
01-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Am I the only one here dieing for a picture of the new toy?

Show me the money, I love RAS eye candy.

Ed Edwards
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Hello,
Can someone tell me the difference between a delta 33-790 vs, 33-890? as I have the latter

Thanks ed

David Winer
01-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Hello,
Can someone tell me the difference between a delta 33-790 vs, 33-890? as I have the latter

Thanks ed
Chip Lindley, in December 2011 said in this Sawmill Creek forum:

"The big difference in early or late Rockwell/Delta 12" RASs lies in the track arm and the motor. Earlier carriage bearings ride in milled grooves inside the cast iron arm. If the groove becomes worn, the saw becomes inaccurate. That is their main deficit. In later 33-890 saws, carriage bearings ride on hardened rods inside the arm. If the rods become worn, they can be turned 180 degrees to a fresh surface. Nice touch--just like on the larger Rockwell/Delta 14", 16" 18" RASs.

Motors of earlier Rockwell 12"s were the round type with a semi-curcular blade guard. Later models have an odd-shaped composite motor housing. The blade guards are more square-ish. The Rockwell/Delta 12s are one of the more desireable RASs because of the Hp. and the turret head. You can advertised on CL locally, here in the SMC Classifieds (if you are a member) and on OWWM's "BOYD" Good luck!"

Ed Edwards
01-28-2012, 3:46 AM
Thank you David,
I appriciate the wisdom

Ed

Jack Stinnett
02-29-2012, 8:53 PM
Guys

I have gone silent because I have been waiting for parts. Parts have arrived and will start
reassembly. Will send picts when done. I also love RASs and agree they are "eye candy ".

Jack

Lee Ludden
02-29-2012, 10:47 PM
We have a local service center that may have parts available, down at about 40th St & Broadway in Phoenix. I'm looking for a nice older RAS myself, so hopefully I'll be undertaking a similar project in the near future.