PDA

View Full Version : Need to learn about angle grinders

Andrew Pitonyak
01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I will very soon have access to a Metabo WE14-125 600292420 Variable Speed 4 -1/2-Inch/5-Inch Angle Grinder

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-WE14-125-600292420-Variable-Grinder/dp/B0027IQGPG

I will be cutting steel rood used as a partial support / alignment in a bunk bed (and some tasks not associated woodworking).

I do not yet have the angle grinder in my possession, but it seems to have a 5/8" -11 arbor. OK, so I think I know what that means, but I was confused when I looked at some diamond wheels that claim to work with both 5/8" and 7/8" arbors; for example, DEWALT DW4701 Industrial 4-1/2-Inch Dry or Wet Cutting Continuous Rim Diamond Saw Blade with 7/8-Inch Arbor (see http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000224X2).

Never did figure out what the arbor is on the D-Tec DRB-045MPS 4 -1/2-Inch Superior Turbo Diamond Blade (see http://www.amazon.com/D-Tec-DRB-045MPS-2-Inch-Superior-Diamond/dp/B0014GFZ8G)

Side note: I will use a full face shield.

Chris Rosenberger
01-16-2012, 12:38 PM
For those types of blades, they have a 7/8" hole punched in the blade & use a ring bushing to reduce it to 5/8". These blades mount to the grinder like a blade on a table saw.
Put the blade on the arbor & then put on a nut to hold the blade. All small blades I have seen or used will work on 5/8" arbors. The Dewalt DW4701 blade is for 5/8 or 7/8 arbors.

Stephen Cherry
01-16-2012, 1:18 PM
You'll need a dust mask also. THe abrasive makes dust, and also the metal. You can also get a small arbor fur cutoff wheels, etc. I've had one forever, use it about once a year. Comes in handy.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-16-2012, 1:20 PM
Good point..... Dust mask. I will wear one of those.

Thanks for the information about the diamond blade.

Don Jarvie
01-16-2012, 2:45 PM
Unless you need a very cut the diamond blade isn't worth the money. The Dewalt cut-off blade listed with the grinder is all you need.

The diamond blade is a must for cutting ceramic tile, metal not so much.

Just my 2 cents trying to save you a few.

Andrew Joiner
01-16-2012, 3:31 PM
After hearing about carbide tipped metal cutting blades for years I finally tried one.

I tested the Harbor Freight 7-1/4" metal cutting blade(about $17) in an old skill saw. Cuts through 1/4" thick steel like its hardwood. Leaves a clean cut edge. Amazing. I will now use my angle grinders for grinding not cutting.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-16-2012, 4:43 PM
So you installed a metal cutting blade in a circular saw and used that for cutting steel. Nice! A friend of mine mentioned that he installed a blade in his miter saw and it worked well..... But I do not own a miter saw; something about available space.

I will use the diamond blade to cut / score cement and I am thinking about using it to cut open some small geodes. Not sure how well that will work since I am not clear as to how I can nicely secure them because they are not much larger than say a 2" diameter ball (so much smaller than a tennis ball). I am certainly NOT going to hold them in my hand. I figure that anything that cuts rock will barely notice my fingers and hands. I might just glue one to a board to secure it. I could probably clamp it to start the cut to see how well it will work. I fear that a fast moving blade (about 10K RPMs) would have enough energy to really launch a rock like that and it could be lethal.

Van Huskey
01-16-2012, 6:49 PM
I think you already have bought the angle grinder but I keep a cutoff wheel in an old 10" miter saw to cut mild steel. It isn't uber fast but it does the job and is pretty accurate.

Rich Engelhardt
01-17-2012, 6:13 AM
I will use the diamond blade to cut / score cement and I am thinking about using it to cut open some small geodes. Not sure how well that will work since I am not clear as to how I can nicely secure them because they are not much larger than say a 2" diameter ball (so much smaller than a tennis ball
Pick up a cheap set of wood screw clamps from HF. Close them and use a hole saw to drill out a hole about the same size or a bit larger than the geodes. Use some anti slip rubber pieces to line the hole & it'll hold them secure while you cut them.
I believe I'd be inclined to use a cheap 7" wet tile saw myself though. You can freehand the cuts w/a wet tile saw.
While I wouldn't make a habit of it, if you do get your fingers into the diamond blade of a cheap wet tile saw, it "burns" like the devil, but it won't cut your finger off.

While you're at HF, pick up a pack of their 4.5" metal cutoff wheels. IIRC, they run ~ $9 or $10 for a 5 pack.
Those are more than adequate for cutting metal. Save the diamond wheel for jobs that really require it.

Andrew Kertesz
01-17-2012, 6:47 AM
In reference to cutting your geodes. I talked to a guy at the gem and mineral show about cutting geodes, they were his specialty. He said that he uses a chain pipe wrench (probably wrong nomenclature) the kind used to cut cast iron soil pipe to cut his geodes. The ones he had were pretty much cut right down the center.