PDA

View Full Version : Not a bowl, but a bed!

Steve Vaughan
01-16-2012, 9:07 AM
A few weeks ago I posted that I'd given my wife the mahogany to build a copy of my uncle's bed that he made for my parents. This is african mahogany...wish it could have been the honduras variety my uncle used but man, that stuff is hard to come by, and seriously expensive when you do! So, here's the start up. Four turned posts, plus a turned rail on the footboard. Finished size of the posts will be 65" long X 3 1/8" diameter. Finished size of the footboard rail will be 63" long including tenons.

First, copying the details and getting them on the template.

Rough turning to get the foot rail rounded.

And, here's the finished foot rail.

Here, I'm starting the details of one of the posts...this is the foot.

Robert McGowen
01-16-2012, 9:10 AM
Quite a project, Steve. Looking forward to seeing the finished bed.

Allan Ferguson
01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Good looking project. You mus have a couple bed extensions on your Nova.

Mark Hubl
01-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice, can't wait to see the bed completed!

Bill Bolen
01-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Wow Steve, that looks to be a very exciting project. My set up is very similar. Just wondering if you needed a center steady and how many bed extensions on your DVR? Asking because I'm getting close to starting a like project.

Steve Vaughan
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I'll get a few more pics as things progress. @Bill, I added 2 extensions...the bed gave me a great reason to do that!:D I'm thinking I may have to tell my wife I need something else to complete her bed too:p. I didn't really need a center steady although it would have worked fine, but I was able to get by with out it. I wouldn't have taken much more though for it to be too shaky.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice going Steve.........a great project, and it looks like you are gonna be able to cross that project off the honey-do list before too long!:D Make sure you do post more pics..........we love to see your progress and your ultimate success! Congrats on what you have accomplished so far!

Josh Bowman
01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Steve, that looks like a refreshing project. Can't wait to see the finished project. ( I didn't really need a center steady) Oh yes you do! I always start a "honey do" project with a new toy.....uuuuuh, I mean required tool to complete the project.

Dan Forman
01-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Looking good! Is that why they call them "bed extensions"? :) Looks like you could have used that big ol' telephone pole lathe someone posted not long ago.

Dan

Sid Matheny
01-16-2012, 1:19 PM
That is a super project and look forward to seeing more as you go. This may take a few days or a month for me.

Sid

Jon McElwain
01-16-2012, 1:22 PM
What a great project with a lot of family and sentimental value! It is good to see a spindle project here. There are more bowls and hollow forms here than you could shake a skew chisel at, but the spindles are hard to come by! I like the visual template you have behind the project. I can see myself cutting a cove instead of a bead and ruining an entire post!

Be sure to post more progress photos, and of course the finished product as well!