PDA

View Full Version : getting closer :)

Dawn Sunkle
03-15-2005, 10:18 AM
I took a trip to a local store yesterday to see what lathes they had in stock.
I saw the Jet, Delta and General mini's. That had another one that they just carry but don't recommend so didnt really give that one a 2nd thought.

I liked all 3 of them. I think I'll go with the Jet thought, only because its been recommended so often. I decided to go for the veriable speed also, so that puts off getting it a few more weeks but not much longer.

I did pick up a book and dvd from Richard Raffen. They both look awesome. Thanks to everyone here for giving opinions and thoughts to us newbies in the turning world. :)

Hubby and I are going to take a roadtrip this weekend to a WoodCraft store (about 90 min away) and get some supplies so when I get the lathe I'll be ready to jump right on in.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!
Dawn

Blake McCully
03-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Dawn,
You won't regret getting the Jet. My wife and I both have one, I've had mine for about a year and a half and SWMBO has had hers a little over a year. They are not the VS ones but that's ok.

I just viewed an RR video last night. That guy is awesome. Just like all pros made everything look so easy.

Have fun with the Jet, let's see some pics once you get started. Sorry Tyler didn't mean to step on your line.

Ted Shrader
03-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Dawn -

You will have a blast when you get your new lathe. Have you found any place where classes are offered? It will help to have some specialized instruction on the basics to get you started on the right foot.

My wife received a lathe for her last birthday. Asked her whether she wanted a little piece of metal (ie jewelry) or a big piece of metal (lathe). She chose the big piece of metal and has been going to town ever since.

Ted

Jim Becker
03-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Dawn, you'll have NO regrets with going with the VS machine. Frankly, it's not only good for the turning, but IMHO, it also adds a little bit to the safety factor since you can often "dial out" minor vibration by changing things only a few RPMs. It's a feature you'll want and have when you upgrade to a big machine ( :D ) , too...

Jeff Sudmeier
03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Dawn,

I have read a book or two by Richard, he seems to be able to teach through spoken words very well! Something that is not very easy!

Good luck on the lathe purchase, it is a slipery slope! :)

Dawn Sunkle
03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Unfortunatly, so far I havent found any place close by that does lessons/classes or even clubs. :(

But I'm still looking. I took a class in collage and one of our projects was learning to use the lather thats where I first fell in love with it. But the machine was HUGE. And it wasn't until recently I started looking into it again and found they don't have to be the size of the garage LOL.

I'm very excited and already have friends wanting to come learn to use it. :)

Dawn

Jim Becker
03-15-2005, 1:00 PM
Dawn, have you checked with the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) for a "local" chapter? Even if it's not super close, there may be members near you.

Dawn Sunkle
03-15-2005, 4:32 PM
Jim, your awesome!!!!!! Thank you so much.
I did find one, the only problem is that it meets on a day I'm working :(
But hey.. where there's a will.. theres a way. :)

Now the coolest part is that are meeting at the place I'm purchasing my machine from :).

Thank you again for the link to find a local chapter!!!!!
Dawn

Jim Becker
03-15-2005, 4:41 PM
Dawn, the AAW is the best organization on the planet for anyone into woodturning. Join your local chapter, but also join the national organization. The quarterly magazine is worth twice the membership cost, IMHO...lots of how-to, who-did and other useful information and plenty of color pictures of very inspiring work. Your local chapter will be able to help you with mentoring...and with turning that's one of the best ways to learn. Seeing it done is worth all the forum posts even made times about 1000!

Raymond Overman
03-16-2005, 7:56 AM
Welcome to the fold. Watch your step... you'll soon find yourself going by your favorite wood working store on your lunch break and squirrelling money away to buy tools and other materials. You'll also find that you start scanning the trees in your neighborhood for any interesting characteristics or burl. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's trees.

One of the benefit's of joining a club is that there is always someone willing to help you with instruction, material, an extra hand to pick up some wood that someone's offered, a tool that you don't have, and their advice. It's a great group.

By the way, where in SC are you. I'm in Fort Mill. There's a woodturners club in Charlotte, NC that meets this Thursday night at the Charlotte Art League. There's also a woodworking tool sale/show at the Charlotte Merchandise Mart this weekend and we'll have a booth there. Maybe if you're close you can come to one or both of those. We would love to see you.

Dawn Sunkle
03-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey Raymond,
I'm in Columbia. (I need to update my profile huh?)
We actualy found out about the show/sale yesterday and considered going up to it. However, since we had already made plans to go to WoodCraft in Greenville (and to see family) we won't be able to make it. Sure wish I'd known about it a week ago :(

And I have already been scoping out the trees where my mom lives in NC.
She lives in a much more wooded area than I do. And they know that I get first dibs on any downed trees. :D

I'm also contacting the person listed for the local club to find out meeting times and more infomation. Working every Saturday has its benifits but it also has its drawbacks. :( Seems like thats when everyone wants to meet.

Only 2 more weeks and I should be able to get my new guy home. (now the sewing machines are going to be jelous LOL) How I'm going to fit it all in is a mystery to me.. but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventualy :)

Dawn

Raymond Overman
03-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Dawn,

Straight up 77 about an hour to Charlotte. Meetings every third Thursday starting at 6:00-9:00 (usually longer) at the Charlotte Art League. If you need specific directions let me know and if you're coming give me a heads up and I'll have a couple of pieces of wood for you when you get here.

There's a guy in Columbia that brought me a load of cherry, cedar, and an oak crotch a couple of weeks back. For some reason I see a lot more cherry burls here than I do in eastern NC where I grew up. Look around your neighborhood or call a tree service and ask about getting cuts from them. Someone is always nice enough to let you clean up their trees for them. Of course that means a whole new topic, chain saws!

Carole Valentine
03-17-2005, 7:46 PM
You'll also find that you start scanning the trees in your neighborhood for any interesting characteristics or burl. I almost drove into a 4' ditch the other day doing just that!!!:eek:

Jim Becker
03-17-2005, 7:58 PM
It's important to understand that for a turner...spying "bowls on the hoof" while driving along is more dangerous than a hand-held cell phone... :D