PDA

View Full Version : Delta Band Saw adjustments.

Ken Kimbrell
03-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Greetings All!

For years now I have tried to do a little woodworking in my spare time, with very little real success, except for one small sewing chest that my wife thinks is the best thing ever. So, after retiring on January 1 of this year maybe now I will have enough time to try and be a ‘real’ woodworker.There seem to be several woodworking forums around, after hanging out and reading through the posts on many of them I picked the best one to signup with.:D

Here is my question:
Along with my retirement came a new home <A href="http://www.mykimbrell.com/newold_house.htm" target=_blank>Our New/Old House (http://www.mykimbrell.com/newold_house.htm</a>) and it has a 3 car garage, so a workshop has to be the top of my list!
To get started several tools have been purchased, including a Delta 14” Band Saw #28-276. While doing the assembly the instruction book was followed.

After putting all the parts together and doing all the adjustments called for the band saw seems to work OK for about one minute with the blade tracking in the middle of both wheels, but then the tire on the lower wheel jumps out of its track in the wheel. The blade (1/4 inch) remains in the channel and continues to turn; I turn it off immediately of course.
The adjustments have been redone several times, by the book, but the problem will not go away.
Should the tire be taken off and reversed, or should some kind of adhesive be used to secure it into the wheel channel?

Or, is there something being missed in my setup and adjusting?

Thanks... ken

EDIT: I messed up the link, so here is the whole thing...
http://www.mykimbrell.com/newold_house.htm

Hal Flynt
03-15-2005, 10:53 AM
If you are saying the tire comes off the wheel, then it's too loose. Sometimes they slip (mark the tire and wheel and then check it after running a while) and not come off. Are they old tires? New ones may solve the problem. I also can't help but think that too much pressure or wheels being out of co-planer are adding to the problem, but you say the blade doesn't come off, which has me stumped.

If it's reasonably snug, then you may be wise to glue it on the wheel. Pull the tire up enough to get a short length of dowell between the tire and wheel and brush some contact cement under the tire as you roll the dowell around the wheel, let it dry overnight and then see what happens.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Byron Trantham
03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
I think Hal nailed it.

As an option you might contact Iturra designs, 1-888-722-7078. What they don't know we don't need to know. :D Seriously, they wrote the book on band saws and he is partial to Delta.

Ken Kimbrell
03-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks Hal, yes the tire is coming part way off the wheel and the blade is then slipping off the tire and onto/into the channel of the wheel where the tire should be seated. This is a new saw, so all the parts are new… at least they appear to be.

After reading your post I checked both the upper and lower wheels and found that on the upper wheel the tire is a very tight fit and that some kind of tool would be required to get between it and the wheel to remove it, but on the lower problem wheel I can pull the tire up with my thumb nails and then remove it quite easily. I will remove the table and check for alignment for the two wheels.

Thanks… ken

Alan Turner
03-15-2005, 1:56 PM
Ken,
If this is a new saw, which I think you stated, then this is a warranty issue in my mind. I had a Delta 14" for over 20 years and never had this problem.

Ken Kimbrell
03-15-2005, 3:44 PM
Ken,
If this is a new saw, which I think you stated, then this is a warranty issue in my mind. I had a Delta 14" for over 20 years and never had this problem.
After a short (less than two minutes) call to Delta's 800# there are two new tires on the way. This may not be an unusual problem, the lady on their end knew what I needed as soon as she heard the model number, including what color the stock tires are and that the replacement tire color is different.
Anyways, guess a two-three day wait is OK, Delta service seems good so far.

Ken Shoemaker
03-17-2005, 2:07 PM
Ken,

I just purchased a 28-276 last Saturday. It will be delivered tomorow. What color were the "bad tires" and what are the new ones. I'm afraid I'll have the same problem even before I unpack it.

I'm so new to woodworking my tools haven't even arrived yet so my experience level is very shallow at this point. Afraid I might no reecognize a problem staring me in the face.

Thanks for your help.

Ken Kimbrell
03-17-2005, 4:08 PM
Ken, The tires that came on mine are red…
I am not totally sure about the replacements, but think they will be orange. Based on my conversation with the Delta tech rep the new ones should be here tomorrow, or Monday at the latest and I will post the color then.

My setup included some mistakes (my fault) even though the Instruction Manual was at hand… be really sure to follow closely the steps as outlined in the Manual, place the all the other paperwork off to the side untill later.
My problem may have been started/caused due to incorrectly setting the ‘support bearing’ in relation to the blade. (page #18) in the book)

If you have any issues my tip would be to call the Delta 800 number, for me it was painless and quick. Of course the advice from Hal and Alan got me headed in the right direction.

Ken Shoemaker
03-18-2005, 11:55 AM
All my tools were delivered about a hour ago. Sitting here at work knowing all that is waiting for me is killing me...

Thank you for the sound advice... I'll let you know how it all works out

Maurice Ungaro
03-18-2005, 1:00 PM
All my tools were delivered about a hour ago. Sitting here at work knowing all that is waiting for me is killing me... Ken, I think you just had a family emergency, and have to go home early today....besides, IT'S FRIDAY!

Maurice

Ken Shoemaker
03-18-2005, 1:13 PM
Cough, Cough, snifffffff..... I'm working on it .. hehehehe

Ken Kimbrell
03-21-2005, 7:17 PM
As promised by the Delta tech-rep the new tires arrived by UPS about an hour ago. After removing the old ones I install the replacements and then test ran them for a couple of minutes before very carefully following the directions for doing all the settings on all the support bearings & blade guides.
The two new tires were really bright neon orange and were a great deal tighter than the original tires that came with the saw.

After then letting the saw just sit running for about 5 minutes two test cuts were made, first on a soft pine 2x4 & then on a 1x4 white oak scrap… works great.

Ken Shoemaker
03-22-2005, 6:45 PM
Ken Thanks for your info.. I'll tear my boxes open and see what happens...