PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Bowl, Dead Tree comes alive...

Chris Studley
01-15-2012, 8:18 PM
This is my second bowl from my cut down Maple. This one is from the the more dead of the two trees.

There is a little cracking by the pith, but this limb was fairly dry so I don't think I'll have much movement.

C&C welcome

David E Keller
01-15-2012, 8:57 PM
It's a pretty bowl, Chris! I really like almost everything about it. The bottom could use a little work to bring it up to the standard you set with the rest of the form... Even rolling the edge of that recess into a little half bead would improve it, but the possibilities are endless. Love that curve, and the finish looks nice as well!

charlie knighton
01-15-2012, 9:06 PM
very nice, try from the trunk area, without the pith

Rich Aldrich
01-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice bowl. Spalted is really cool. I have some soft maple, hard maple and cherry that is starting to spalt. It really looks cool just roughed out. I cant wait to see it finished. One thing that is difficult to deal with is tear out. I guess you can put some CA on the tear out areas to reduce tear out, but I havent tried it.

Jamie Donaldson
01-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Chris- I don't know your skill level in turning, but I encourage you to use your chuck in compression mode on a tenon, rather than expanding into a recess as this example shows. It will be a much more secure grip on the wood, and less likely to split a bowl from overtightening in a fragile recess, especially on dry and spalted wood.

Chris Studley
01-15-2012, 11:22 PM
@jamie- relatively new to turning, less than a year.

As far as thr chuck issue. I don't have a proper chuck. I only have the expanding collet chuck, It was/is on sale at Woodcraft for $9. i need to get on getting a chuck.

I know exactly what you mean about the splitting. Had had a catch and split this piece, but was able to deepen the recess w/ a forstner bit and salvage it.

Baxter Smith
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
That is a neat little bowl Chris. Very pretty wood and form. Well done!

Dan Forman
01-16-2012, 4:15 AM
I agree with David with David about the base, nice wood and form.

Dan

Chris Studley
01-16-2012, 9:48 AM
I will be smoothing out the base next weekend. There actually is some cool swirling going on that would look much nicer polished.

I turned two bowls this weekend and both need similar treatment. Need to make a jam chuck.

Thanks for the compliments.