PDA

View Full Version : Upside down gloat

Stephen Cherry
01-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I've been looking to get a nice router table setup for some time now, so I just picked up a CR Onsrud 2003 inverted pin router. Basically, it's a router in a nice cast iron lift, which is activated by a foot pedal, with stops. The router can be locked against any of the stops. The inverted pin comes down when the foot pedal is depressed, and can be used to trace patterns. Could be used for cutting out shapes, inlay, etc, as well as normal router table stuff. It has a big Porter Cable 220 v single speed router.

I hate to say it, but this thing were'nt cheap. Basically, I paid used about what a good router table, lift and router motor would cost new. I'm still cringing a little, because I want things to be pretty cheap. I tried to get one at an auction up in PA last week, but there were about 100 Amish furniture guys there for about 15 machines. The router I wanted went for almost full price. I finally bit the bullet and bought one used from an local estate.

Now I am looking for a 1/8 collet, and 1/8 and 1/16 cutters. Plus, I need a fence.

Edit-- I forgot, the most important question when buying used-- "Do you have anything that goes with it"? I asked the nice lady who was selling this, and got a box full of collets, pins, maybe 25 bits, etc.

ed vitanovec
01-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Nice tool, they are not cheap. Let us know how you like it when you get some use out of it.

Chris Rosenberger
01-15-2012, 8:26 PM
I had looked for one for several years also & I got one just like yours this spring. They are nice.

Mike Cruz
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
So, that's her, huh? Pretty girl, she is. I know you've been mulling this one over. I'm sure you're gonna love it. Nice grab. Maybe someday, I'll get to see it in action!

Van Huskey
01-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Interesting "egg crate" sound damping in the cabinet, do you know if it is OEM? Either way it is an interesting idea.

Stephen Cherry
01-16-2012, 11:48 PM
One thing I tried, just as an experiment, is a cutout for a drawer in a small table. Rather than ripping, crosscutting, and gluing back together, I made a pattern for the drawer cutout, and routed out the drawer with a 1/8 guide and a rotozip bit. It worked OK, but I need to get some cutters and guide pins in 1/8 and 1/16.

I've been working on some other patterns also. It's pretty fun, but will take some practice.

Stephen Cherry
01-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Interesting "egg crate" sound damping in the cabinet, do you know if it is OEM? Either way it is an interesting idea.

That's how they come, but this thing screams. The bigger machines have normal motors, with high speed spindles. They may be quieter.