PDA

View Full Version : Jet 10-20 Drum Sander belts seem to long.

Bill Huber
01-15-2012, 9:45 AM
I got my 10-20 awhile back and also at the same time I bought some Jet belts for it. I do plan on buying rolls in the future but I still have all of the belts I bought that I want to use. I am going to make a hardboard template for the angel of the flap and the length and I want to get things right before I do.

It is like they are about 1 inch to long, I have a lot of problem getting them on and when I do get them on they want of lap over each other. I have the flap in as far as it will go into the clip on each end of the drum and the spring in the clip pulls on the belt like it should.

I have taken an inch off the belts and they go in much easier and do not lap over each other, I get the left side square with the end of the drum but it still wants to overlap itself at some point.

The question what am I doing wrong, I push the flap in as far as it will go in the spring clip on each end.

Tony Zaffuto
01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I had a Ryobi 16-32 (built on Performax patent) and sold it and got a Performax 16-32 (still have it), having either for better than a decade. What you are describing has happened on more than one occasion for me. I first check to make sure the starting clip is secure and if so, after rolling the strips on, give the end a "little trim" to fir the ending clip. You'll get used to it.

Question, I have the 16-32 in my home shop and I have a job to do some miles away and have been considering the 10-20. What are your likes and dislikes about the smaller sander.

Bill Huber
01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I had a Ryobi 16-32 (built on Performax patent) and sold it and got a Performax 16-32 (still have it), having either for better than a decade. What you are describing has happened on more than one occasion for me. I first check to make sure the starting clip is secure and if so, after rolling the strips on, give the end a "little trim" to fir the ending clip. You'll get used to it.

Question, I have the 16-32 in my home shop and I have a job to do some miles away and have been considering the 10-20. What are your likes and dislikes about the smaller sander.

I guess the only little thing I could say that I don't like about it is the 2 switches. I am sure I will get used to it over time but I have left the belt running after I have stopped sanding with it. I have also started sanding only to find I was not sanding at all, forgot to turn the drum switch on.

The adjustment of the drum is very easy to do and adjust it to parallel with the bed. the belt was a little hard to get it to center and not walk but that really was not a big problem, just took a little time.

It is not to light but it is still light enough that I can move it around the shop, I have to move it to the table saw to do large items but it's not to bad, I have it mounted to a 3/4" MDF board.

I am only using a shop vac for dust collection and it does an OK job, a real dust collector would be better because I get a lot of saw dust in the drum.

I just finished a blanket chest with a 19 3/4" x 48" top and the sander did a great job on it. I did set up an in feed and out feed rollers so I would not get snipe, but that was it and the top came out just wonderful, no line down the center on nothing.