View Full Version : Nested Elm set

Kathy Marshall
01-15-2012, 2:36 AM
I've been wanting to give my McNaughton another go, so this morning I grabbed the biggest of the Chinese Elm logs I had and cut off a blank. The log was only just over 12" diam and after turning it round, the largest bowl came out to about 11" x 6". I didn't measure the other 3. They've all got a coat of Walnut oil.
I have turned a couple of small bowls from one of the smaller logs, but they didn't have near the color this big log did.
I'm pretty happy with the results of my 2nd coring, now I just need a bigger lathe to make it a little easier.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Dan Forman
01-15-2012, 2:56 AM
That's a really fine looking set, great figure and color in the wood. Just looking at the pics I would have thought the "mother bowl" was a lot bigger.

What was it like coring the elm - I had heard that would be tough due to the interlocked grain of the wood? Guess you don't have a lot to compare it to yet. :)

Dan

Michelle Rich
01-15-2012, 5:36 AM
that sure is a pretty piece of elm. lovely bowl set. This set & your sisso set really are eye-catching

John Keeton
01-15-2012, 7:18 AM
Kathy, you get some of the most colorful wood!! Great work on this set, and yes, you need a bigger lathe! No telling what you would/could turn then.

Richard Jones
01-15-2012, 7:48 AM
Kathy,

Great looking set, and I love the color of elm.

Does a bigger lathe mean an addition to your current setup is forthcoming? :)

Rich

Russell Eaton
01-15-2012, 7:56 AM
Kathy that is another beautiful turning. I like this site because you can see so many different styles of turning. Great job, and thanks for showing.

Tom Winship
01-15-2012, 8:32 AM
As usual, beautiful work. Stay with the smaller lathe. If you get a bigger one, I don't think there will be any trees left for the rest of us to turn.

Hayes Rutherford
01-15-2012, 9:04 AM
Great looking set of bowls and elm can be tough to core.

Nate Davey
01-15-2012, 9:04 AM
Great job on the coring. The McNaughton can be frustrating at firs, but once you get it, it's the greatest.

Jon Prouty
01-15-2012, 9:21 AM
Beautiful Kathy! FYI... There is a PM 42-24 on Craigslist in Sedona. Had my eye on it but can't justify the fundage and the move up from my Delta 46-460 would be too much for me to contemplate at this time. This oils be the perfect lathe for you.

JP

Scott Hackler
01-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice Kathy!! Elm tends to oval on me pretty bad, but our elm might be "wetter" than yours. I "attempted" a nested set out of elm a while back and discovered that for the first time EVER... I stopped the lathe! The tool post wasn't tightened down good enough and slipped down, binding the knife! SCAREY X10!! Bent the heck out of the knife too! Elm is a tough, tough wood.

Either way, your set looks fantastic. Not as nice as the Sissoo, but I am biased that way! :)

Curt Fuller
01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
What a great looking set of bowls! Kathy, I think of all the posters here you provide us with the most interesting assortment of turning ideas and woods. I really enjoy seeing what you do.

Robert McGowen
01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
That is really nice, Kathy. Do you plan on keeping the set together or do you give away or sell them separately?

David E Keller
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Beautiful work, Cathy! You and Baxter are killing me with these nested sets... My wish list just had a coring setup added. Now I need to figure out which one! That elm is beautiful, and as always, your forms are spot on!

Kathy Marshall
01-15-2012, 1:03 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

That's a really fine looking set, great figure and color in the wood. Just looking at the pics I would have thought the "mother bowl" was a lot bigger.

What was it like coring the elm - I had heard that would be tough due to the interlocked grain of the wood? Guess you don't have a lot to compare it to yet. :)

Dan
The elm was a little tough to core, but I was thinking it was the lathe more than the wood. Since I changed the belts on the lathe, the pulleys are not quite syncronized so I don't always have enough torque, especially on larger diameter pieces. Nice to know that it might go easier with other varieties of wood.

Kathy,

Great looking set, and I love the color of elm.

Does a bigger lathe mean an addition to your current setup is forthcoming? :)

Rich
In my dreams. That was really just wishful thinking. Saving up for a real shop 1st so I'll have some room and not be running off an extension cord from the house!

Great looking set of bowls and elm can be tough to core.
Now you tell me! I'm hoping the boxelder blank will go much easier!

Beautiful Kathy! FYI... There is a PM 42-24 on Craigslist in Sedona. Had my eye on it but can't justify the fundage and the move up from my Delta 46-460 would be too much for me to contemplate at this time. This oils be the perfect lathe for you.

JP
That looks like a good deal, and I could justify the fundage it I had the fundage! Oh well, I'll just keep dreaming of more swing and more horsepower and maybe another good deal will pop up when I'm a little more solvent!

Nice Kathy!! Elm tends to oval on me pretty bad, but our elm might be "wetter" than yours. I "attempted" a nested set out of elm a while back and discovered that for the first time EVER... I stopped the lathe! The tool post wasn't tightened down good enough and slipped down, binding the knife! SCAREY X10!! Bent the heck out of the knife too! Elm is a tough, tough wood.

Either way, your set looks fantastic. Not as nice as the Sissoo, but I am biased that way! :)
I stopped the lathe many times on this coring, but then I also slowed/stopped the lathe just finish turning the inside of the big bowl (not catches, just cutting). I like to dream of what I could do with Steve's Beauty!

That is really nice, Kathy. Do you plan on keeping the set together or do you give away or sell them separately?
I'll keep them together as a set, don't know wether I'll give them away or try to sell them.

Beautiful work, Cathy! You and Baxter are killing me with these nested sets... My wish list just had a coring setup added. Now I need to figure out which one! That elm is beautiful, and as always, your forms are spot on!
I've only tried the McNaughton, but the decision to go with the McNaughton was seeing a demo by Mike Mahoney and also what I've read about the others. Of the 3, McNaughton, One-way and Woodcut, the McNaughton is the most versatile as far as shapes and sizes, the One-way and Woodcut have shorter learning curves, and price wise the McNaughton was in the middle. The versatality was a selling point for me.

Mark Hubl
01-15-2012, 4:56 PM
Very nice. I really love these nested sets. Pretty soon you and Baxter are going to be cutting into Mahoney's action!

Baxter Smith
01-15-2012, 8:48 PM
You come up with some of the prettiest wood Kathy! Very nice set!

Jeff Fagen
01-15-2012, 8:55 PM
I turned an Elm bowl yesterday,they have a nice smell and cut well green.

charlie knighton
01-15-2012, 9:14 PM
nice set, i enjoy seeing what you get into next

Rich Aldrich
01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Nice looking bowl set. I have the McNaughton, but havent had the time to really learn to use it. Once my present assignment is over, I should have the time. Do you use a lazer at all?