PDA

View Full Version : Which PDF Conventer to Buy?

Augusto Orosco
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
I am looking for a basic PDF converter. My needs are simple: Make PDF's from MS Office applications as well as create PDF's from hard copies scanned in my flatbed (I have a 3 in 1 Epson printer/fax/scanner).

Adobe's seems to be the standard, but given my 2 simple needs, I would think there are cheaper options that would serve me well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I run Windows 7

Matt Meiser
01-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Google PDF creator-its free and has worked for me.

Jamie Buxton
01-15-2012, 12:07 AM
I use doPDF. It is free. It works for me. When installed, it looks like an additional printer on your computer. You use Printer Setup or the like to select it instead of your real printers.

Joe Pelonio
01-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Office 2010 under windows 7 can save as pdf with no additional add-ins or software. We use it at work, though I also have Acrobat Professional.

Dave Lehnert
01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
I use something called "PDF 995" . It's free. To convert something to a PDF you select it from your print menu just like a printer. Not sure if it will do what you need but works for my needs.

paul cottingham
01-15-2012, 12:35 AM
OpenOffice allows you to convert docs to pdf's. And it's free!

Rich Engelhardt
01-15-2012, 6:06 AM
OpenOffice allows you to convert docs to pdf's. And it's free!
That would be LibreOffice now. I've had some formatting get lost using either LO or OE, but, for the most part it does work fine.

So far (knock on wood) PDFCreator has worked 100%.
It's also free.

I use both.

Dave Wagner
01-15-2012, 8:06 AM
We use Nuance PDF Pro, it can convert BACK to Word, Excel, make searchable PDFs, etc...works good. I think it's around $99.

Curt Harms
01-15-2012, 8:13 AM
I use something called "PDF 995" . It's free. To convert something to a PDF you select it from your print menu just like a printer. Not sure if it will do what you need but works for my needs.
I've used and paid for PDF995 in the past. It came as a suite that had a couple other 'applets' for want of a better term. I've also used cutePDF (google it) which seemed to work fine. I now use a Linux desktop OS with Libre Office which does what I need it to do, including importing and exporting (lightly formatted) MS Office documents.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-15-2012, 8:46 AM
I also use PDF995 as a free version. I also have their editing software called PDFedit995. It works well to combine several PDF files into one PDF file, or to just delete a page within an existing PDF file.
Jeff :)

brian c miller
01-15-2012, 8:54 AM
I use office 2010 and it's got the save as pdf option native. I also use cute PDF printer to print as a pdf file for anything else. It's free and will save the document just as if it came of the printer.

BCM

Phil Thien
01-15-2012, 9:24 AM
That would be LibreOffice now. I've had some formatting get lost using either LO or OE, but, for the most part it does work fine.

So far (knock on wood) PDFCreator has worked 100%.
It's also free.

I use both.

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. OpenOffice hasn't ceased. OpenOffice development is under Oracle's oversight. LibreOffice development is 100% community-based.

Harry Hagan
01-15-2012, 9:49 AM
+1 for PDFCreator. I've used it for years and it's free.

Jim Tobias
01-15-2012, 11:14 AM
PDF Converter by Nuance. Used it for years and it will allow you to do any and everything to a doc.

Jim

Kevin Stanbary
01-15-2012, 5:59 PM
I use cutePDF with good results

Matt Meiser
01-15-2012, 6:12 PM
Cutepdf is what work puts on our laptops but to be honest with Office and my Brother printer software's built in PDF software I never use it.

Myk Rian
01-15-2012, 6:32 PM
Epson scan will create a PDF when you scan something. I do it all the time.
Check the output type settings.

Bill Edwards(2)
01-15-2012, 6:41 PM
Cute PDF.

Works great and it's free.

Most IT groups I know, use it a lot.

Augusto Orosco
01-15-2012, 6:57 PM
Epson scan will create a PDF when you scan something. I do it all the time.
Check the output type settings.

Thanks, Myk. I have to check my manual. The scanning software that came with the printer is very unstable and keeps crashing.

Seems that there are many free options available. Thanks, everyone!

Jim Becker
01-15-2012, 7:01 PM
Current versions of MS Office already create PDF documents...I use that feature nearly daily for work. Most "multifunction" printer/scanner/fax devices come with software that also creates PDFs. My HP did, for example, so check that your Epson software doesn't already have that capability.

Larry Frank
01-15-2012, 8:14 PM
Another vote for CutePDF. I have been using it for awhile and not had any issues. My scanner will also scan something directly to PDF.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2012, 9:02 PM
I use cutePDF with good results

So do I............Rod.