PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat to bowl

Donny Lawson
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Thursday afternoon we ran upon this big huge poplar and pine freshly cut and ready to be hauled off. I pulled aside a few pieces of poplar for myself. I measured them at 19". I decided to try my 1642 out and see what it would do. I trimmed it to just under 16"x6" thick. It took about 2hrs but I got it roughed out. I wanted to put it in my DNA bucket but the bowl was too big. I just had to seal it and now I have to wait. I'm going to get a bigger bucket. My wife likes the size of this one.

Bill Bulloch
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
I hope it don't crack on you. I won a large piece of poplar about that size this month at the club raffle. I cut it on the bandsaw to 15 1/2 inch diameter and waxed it, but have not roughed it out yet. I hope it don't crack either.

Baxter Smith
01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Congrats on a big one! I think Steve S. uses a heavy duty garbage bag placed in a box of peanuts to DNA soak his big ones. Uses less DNA too. With all the wood you have to rough out, you shouldn't need to be in a rush to get something finish turned. In a year, you will be up to your ears in bowls that will be dry enough to finish turn! DAMHIKT.;)

David E Keller
01-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Looking good, Donny! This time next year, it'll be ready for another spin!

Dan Forman
01-15-2012, 5:03 AM
That's a big'n all right! Never turned poplar before, curious to see what it will look like finished.

Dan

Richard Jones
01-15-2012, 7:58 AM
For me, poplar in a side grain orientation gives a whole new meaning for the terms "very sharp" and "tool control." But, it certainly did enhance my vocabulary.............

Bill Bulloch
01-15-2012, 8:18 AM
That's a big'n all right! Never turned poplar before, curious to see what it will look like finished.

Dan

A few months back we had a Demostrater at the Club that championed Poplar. He said that it was great to turn and he couldn't understand why most woodturners shunned it. I have turned a lot of it in the past and find that it's lack of grain and any distinguishing characteristics makes it rather boring. But, if you are making a large dough bowl special characteristics is not important.

Donny Lawson
01-15-2012, 9:26 AM
A few months back we had a Demostrater at the Club that championed Poplar. He said that it was great to turn and he couldn't understand why most woodturners shunned it. I have turned a lot of it in the past and find that it's lack of grain and any distinguishing characteristics makes it rather boring. But, if you are making a large dough bowl special characteristics is not important.

Yeah Bill, I'm just making a large dough bowl.I think it will turn out ok. It's going in a paper bag with shavings for about 6 months or so. I've got gnough wood for a few more that size.

Bill Bulloch
01-16-2012, 7:13 AM
Yeah Bill, I'm just making a large dough bowl.I think it will turn out ok. It's going in a paper bag with shavings for about 6 months or so. I've got gnough wood for a few more that size.

I rough turned my piece yesterday and put it in the kiln, it should be ready to finish in about 3 weeks. Hope this piece don't crack like the last piece I turned.