PDA

View Full Version : Some Segmented bowls

Bill Bulloch
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I believe that I posted about the lady giving me over 500 BF of the finest Cherry I have ever seen and over 100 BF of Walnut last month. Well here are some segmented bowls that I made with it. I guess I'll be turning the Cherry/Walnut combo for years to come.

Cherry and Walnut Southwest design. 10 1/2" diameter 5" high.

Large and deep Walnut, Wenge and yellowheart bowl. 11" diameter 7" high.

Walnut and Cherry fruit bowl. 14" diameter 4 1/2" high.

What ya think?

Donny Lawson
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Bill, I think you are doing some great work. It looks very time consuming.

James Roberts
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
With that much good wood and your skill set there is no reason not to go with with what's winning and these are winners. Keep 'em coming Bill.

Ron Bontz
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Nice.Very very nice. I am going back to my cave now.:)

Baxter Smith
01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I believe that I posted about the lady giving me over 500 BF of the finest Cherry I have ever seen ........

What ya think?
All are nice Bill! But the idea of cutting up "the finest Cherry I have ever seen" into little pieces....
Well.... I think... that is just wrong!:eek::)

Michelle Rich
01-15-2012, 5:45 AM
I love the first 2 bowls. ( keep the cherry& walnut, out of the sun..the colors will change & the cherry will darken so much the patterns will become less clear DAMHIK! )

John Keeton
01-15-2012, 7:25 AM
Bill, your joinery is really good and I like the patterns. I do not particularly like cherry and walnut together for the very reasons Michelle mentioned. The cherry will darken to a deep red, and the walnut will lighten to an amber. At that point, IMO the colors do not look good together and the contrast is lost. Perhaps you could get some maple to use to intersperse between them?? Just my opinion - I know others that like them together.

That sure is a lot of cherry to use up by doing segmented bowls!!! At a board foot, or so, per bowl - its gonna be a while!!! I am pretty sure I don't have that much time left!:eek:

Bill Bulloch
01-15-2012, 8:03 AM
All are nice Bill! But the idea of cutting up "the finest Cherry I have ever seen" into little pieces....
Well.... I think... that is just wrong!:eek::)

Baxter, I think you are right and I do have other plans for it some of it. Remember I did flat work for over 50 years before I got pulled into the vortex.

Michelle and John, I am not sure how long Cherry will continue to darken, but I believe this wood is as dark as it is going to get. The lady I got it from had it in her barn for over 18 years and the guy she got it from had it stored for years in his shop before he retired. It is a deep dark red all the way through. I got a Cherry Clock that I made over thirty years ago and this Cherry is much, much darker than that. In fact,the owner of the hardwood store up the street insist that it is Honduras Mahogany, it looks just like it when laid side by side, but the noise knows better. I know what you are talking about, though, the sapwood in the Southwestern bowl's wave at the top blends in with the Cherry so you can hardly distinguish them. I wish I hadn't used that piece of walnut there.

Russell Eaton
01-15-2012, 8:10 AM
Bill that is some fine work. I do not have the patience to do that, but respect the ones that do. The last is my favorite. Thanks for showing.

Michael Short
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice bowls Bill.

Justin Stephen
01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
The last is my favorite. Thanks for showing.

Agreed. I like the last one the most. It is a great form and the wood grain is gorgeous.

Robert McGowen
01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Bill, I really like the patterns you have. The yellow heart zig zag bowl is especially nice.

Since you asked, I will be the "bad guy" and mention that the ring alignment looks to be off on all 3 pieces, especially the bottom ring on the wenge bowl and the top ring on the fruit bowl.

Bill Bulloch
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Bill, I really like the patterns you have. The yellow heart zig zag bowl is especially nice.

Since you asked, I will be the "bad guy" and mention that the ring alignment looks to be off on all 3 pieces, especially the bottom ring on the wenge bowl and the top ring on the fruit bowl.

You are not a "bad guy" for pointing out the obvious. And, ofcourse, you are right about the top ring on the fruit bowl, but wrong about the wenge bowl; the bottom ring is not out of alignment, it's the ten rings on top of it that are.

Robert McGowen
01-15-2012, 12:26 PM
?..........wrong about the wenge bowl; the bottom ring is not out of alignment, it's the ten rings on top of it that are.

Now that is funny, but probably only to a "segmenter".

Since you are building from the bottom up, I guess you do have a point though........... :D