PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat and Wood ID help needed

Doug W Swanson
01-14-2012, 6:03 PM
Hey all,
Last weekend I was driving home from my son's basketball game and saw some workers clearing the lot next to my fire station. I stopped and asked if I could take some wood and the worker said to help myself. I made a phone call to fellow Creeker Greg Just and we met later to grab some wood. Unfortunately most of the wood was pine so we just grabbed what looked good. That's Greg with the chain saw!

The maple looked good (and was fairly large) but we both have a ton of maple already.

Now I could use a little help identifying the wood we picked up. The worker said there was Elm, Ash, Oak, Pine and Maple. Since I know what Oak and Pine look like, I would like to know what these are.

I think the middle one is Elm but I can't say for sure. I'm unsure of the others....

Hayes Rutherford
01-14-2012, 6:09 PM
Doug, I couldn't recognize any but usually there are some leaves around and even if dried up can tell all. I'm sure others will know from your photo's.

Doug W Swanson
01-14-2012, 7:02 PM
Hayes, normally that's a good clue but the leaves have been down for a few months now. About the only leaves I could see were Oak. Even if I can't ID the wood, it will make some nice bowls!

Jamie Donaldson
01-14-2012, 7:06 PM
A bit hard to see details from these shots, but I believe the wood on the L is silver maple, and on the R is ash.

Nate Davey
01-14-2012, 7:46 PM
Agree with Jamie, pretty sure the left is Maple.

Michael Menzli
01-14-2012, 8:34 PM
Will check a few guides and try to nail these down for you. I will say even if you have plenty of maple you can practice with it as well as try your hand at spalting..maple is a great candidate !

Greg Just
01-14-2012, 8:52 PM
Here's what I got out of the haul. Doug called me last Saturday afternoon and I just couldn't pass. I think most of what I took was elm and box elder. Thanks Doug!

Dan Forman
01-15-2012, 3:43 AM
Looks like Greg got the elm, my guess for the two pics of yours on the right would be ash, by the process of elimination.

Dan

Doug W Swanson
01-15-2012, 9:17 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

I didn't get as much as Greg did but I'll still get some nice bowls out of what I picked up....

David Starks
01-16-2012, 12:05 AM
l to r: maple, elm, ash? the third is the tough one. the bark looks like the elm but the wood itself is diff so it could be ash. the ash we have down here is all white inside. also, the elm would be continous color like the middle one.