PDA

View Full Version : Another bottlestopper . . . + my (borrowed) method

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-14-2012, 5:06 PM
It seems that in the past few months, I've been turning nothing but bottlestoppers and pens. They are so quick and make such great gifts, I guess thats the excuse. They are also fun -- for me. Tonight we are attending a dinner party with some colleagues, brining some wine and, a Stopper - what else?

I thought I'd take the time to tell you my process. It is basically taken from things I've learned here and from other sites. It most closely follows Ruth Niles process which is linked below. She is a really neat lady; this was my first stopper using her hardware and I can tell you her product is great and she is a joy to deal with.

I start with a 2.5" sq x 3.5L blank of Cocobolo (bought a bunch of 12" sticks a few years ago here on the creek . . . turning stoppers with it since:D). I round the blank while its chucked in my Nova. (I bought the one that goes with the 46-460, the Delta Industrial 46-461 Reversible Nova G3-D, the ability to secure it to the headstock and turn backwards for sanding is quite spiffy!)

I then drill two holes, swapping my live center for the drill chuck in the tailstock. One 3/4" with a forstner about 1/8" in (it then needs to be enlarged by a 1/16th with a small skew to accept the stopper shoulder), followed by the 23/64" hole for the threaded rod of the stopper, about 1" in.

I then rechuck my live center and start making a profile:

219785 219784

Once I've got it as smooth as I can with my carbide tools and the shape nearly finished, I remove the blank and mount it on my homemade mandrel. Ruth has directions on her website http://www.torne-lignum.com/make_stoppers.html for making one if you're interested. I use a fender washer to take up the space in the recess so as not to crack the bottom profile. I cut the top square of the blank with a saw prior to spinning again.

Once it's remounted, I do some very careful final shaping (when I mean careful, I mean careful! I've had more than one catch trying to change too much and destroyed my work!) I then sand with 400 and 600, switch to Micro Mesh and go all the way to 12000 on the bare wood. I then hit the blank with some Naptha to clean any residual dust and then buff that with a white scotch brite to try to further remove the fine scratches.

I use Mylands three part fininsh. Here's the end result.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

Donny Lawson
01-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Looks like a nice tutorial and a nice stopper. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-16-2012, 6:47 PM
I posted a short process on my bottlestopper turning and got some views, but only one comment. Here's another look at the finished product after my semi-pro photo friend had a go at it . .

Nate Davey
01-16-2012, 7:03 PM
Very nice, great looking form and finish. Wish I had a professional photographer for a friend.

Jim Burr
01-16-2012, 7:20 PM
Great work Jeff! I love utility stuff and this will sell out in a heartbeat!! I'd encourage you to use the mandrel from start to finish. It makes life much easier! You can still do the same quality work, but much easier! +5 for Ruth being a jewel to chat with...I really enjoy the monthly blah blah we have, she loves to laugh!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-16-2012, 7:52 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, he's a magician on photography!

John W Dixon
01-16-2012, 8:48 PM
Looks nice. I love the shape. I have yet to try any of Ruth's stoppers but I'm gonna have to order some as they sure look great.

Reid Strand
01-16-2012, 9:02 PM
looking at the picture where he's got it balanced on end, I'd say he's more than just a magician on photography.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-16-2012, 9:10 PM
looking at the picture where he's got it balanced on end, I'd say he's more than just a magician on photography.

LOL. I asked him how he did that (made it appear as standing on the point) ... he told me hours of training it! Clearly the "magician" intends to keep his secrets!:eek::confused::D

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Great looking stopper.

Scott Lux
01-17-2012, 9:58 AM
Jeff, I've tried 3 times to comment on this and my machine keeps locking up. I really appreciate the technique advice and sinking them in the wood is fantastic. I'm definitely trying that next time. Nice stopper too.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-18-2012, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the comments, Scott. Can't wait to see your finished product!

Brian Palmer
01-18-2012, 4:34 PM
Very nice!