PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old and in with the new

Ken Glass
01-14-2012, 4:07 PM
Hey All,
I decided to replace my old Steady Rest with a new more solid heavy duty one. Every time I would rough out a vase it worked fine, but after drying, I would have trouble holding a vase that warped a little, tight enough to finish turn the outside, let alone hollow the inside. I liked the Jeff Nichol style, but found JD Combs' wonderful drawings and tutorial and after I perused the drawings, I knew it would be a flash to adapt it from his 16" Jet to my 20" Mustard. I gathered the materials that I didn't have on hand and bought the skate wheels and ABEC9 bearings on Amazon for $22. I made my tightening knobs out of 3/8" x 6" bolts and cupped the bolt end at 1-1/4" tall and Welded the non threaded end minus the head onto it. I didn't accurately track the cost, but it couldn't have been more than $35-$40. See pictures. I also used 1/2" steel for between the ways for added stability. I wiped it down with Thinner and two coated a primer coat and 2 coated the Mustard coat with my HVLP gun. All in all it came out well and will serve the purpose just fine.

P.S. Anyone wanting the old one is most welcome to it for the price of shipping any way you want from me to you, except FedEx, as they don't have a hub here. I will be happy to package it for you at no cost too. I might also have a couple spare wheels for it. I really don't have any use for it anymore, and would rather have a Creeker get it than the trash man. Just PM me if interested in it....

Bill Bolen
01-14-2012, 4:23 PM
Great looking steady Ken. I'll bet you will really be crank'in 'em out now!

Ken Glass
01-14-2012, 4:40 PM
Bill,
If I didn't creak I could crank, but alas, I creak to much to crank. LOL

Roland Martin
01-14-2012, 5:09 PM
Very nice job Ken. Looks good-n-rugged.