PDA

View Full Version : Rocking Cradle

David Cefai
01-14-2012, 3:54 PM
I shall soon start work on a cradle, the first grandchild is on the way!

I would be grateful for any input on the following topic.

The cradle will not be a "rocking horse" type but one which is suspended from a frame. I have noticed that there are essentially two types: those which swing from the top of the bed and those which are suspended like a pendelum.

The latter ones will have a slower "natural" rythm than the others. I personally have never encountered a pendelum type one. Does anybody here know which type works better? Or what is the most soothing rocking frequency for babies?

I have not been able to find any information on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Bruce Page
01-14-2012, 4:54 PM
David, I made one from plans that I got from Woodsmith. I’m not sure of the "natural" rhythm that you speak of but this one has had 4 grandkids through it and its still swinging.

Granddaughter Gloat & Cradle Pic’s (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?2801-Granddaughter-Gloat-amp-Cradle-Pic%E2%80%99s)

Aaron Berk
01-14-2012, 5:34 PM
I'd go with a "glider rocker" type of rocking motion.

I have 7 kids, and my wife runs/owns a thriving baby store.
My opinion might be biased, but glider style is how I'm building my next cradle.

Just my .02

And PS: to Bruce.....
The rocker in your link is a piece of art for sure, you did a top notch job on that one. I like the rounded portion on the top of the frame, looks great!

Sam Layton
01-15-2012, 3:22 PM
I built this cradle for my granddaughter about a year ago. It rocks with ease utilizing ball bearings. It also has a lock that will not allow it to rock. I am not sure about the pendulum type. I don't think you want to much swing, or there may be a stability issue. I have built two of the below. They swing very smooth.

Sam

219869219870219871I Built this cradle for my granddaughter

Scott Kuykendall
01-15-2012, 7:18 PM
Here is one I made for our daughter 12 yrs ago, I know the type I made swings very smooth and is balanced well. I have seen some that if you rock them to much they get tipsy so a wider base will make it more stable.
Scott

Tom Hammond
01-15-2012, 8:48 PM
We never really rocked the kids... nor our grandkids. Not sure if there's a 'natural' rhythm. I've made a couple of swinging cradles, and I modified it so that it was more like a glider. Sorry I don't have a picture of the ones I made, but the motion was the same as this:
By building it this way, the baby is always on a level surface. I made them so they would swing only a very few inches each way and I put enough drag on it so that swung pretty slowly.