PDA

View Full Version : The Flying Scotsman

David DeCristoforo
01-14-2012, 3:02 PM
Not too long ago, I received a piece of spalted box elder from Scott Hackler. This is what it became. 3.25" at the widest part of the rim X 19" tall.

Nate Davey
01-14-2012, 3:16 PM
Wow that us nice. I love the way the spalting runs town the side of the piece. Love your signature shape.

Marty Eargle
01-14-2012, 3:23 PM
Very, very nice. That Box Elder works very well with the wood you used with it.

Bill Wyko
01-14-2012, 4:24 PM
Ahhhh David, yet another exquisite piece. I always look for your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Alan Trout
01-14-2012, 5:08 PM
As always a wonderful piece.

Alan

Roland Martin
01-14-2012, 5:13 PM
Another work of art, very nice David. That's a very nice hunk of wood Scott sent you, and you certainly did it justice.

Roger Chandler
01-14-2012, 5:20 PM
Another beauty David!

Ken Glass
01-14-2012, 6:03 PM
David,
I can see you cupping that pedestal (er stick), with your finger and thumb as you feature it down to such a thin shape and saying please don't break. Oh yea, I like it lots too. You got skills....

Eric Gourieux
01-14-2012, 6:15 PM
David,

Beautiful work, as usual. It's definitely your unique style, and you do it very well. Is the entire form hollow?

Allan Ferguson
01-14-2012, 7:03 PM
An absolutely great piece. Put it behind glass and don't breath on it while doing so.

David E Keller
01-14-2012, 8:10 PM
Neat piece, David! The flared portion at the top seems fairly exaggerated for my tastes, but photos tend to distort tall, thin forms like this to some degree. Nice looking bit of wood you started with...

Baxter Smith
01-14-2012, 8:29 PM
Super cool! You are really stretching out on the height thing! Without going back and looking, is this your tallest?

David DeCristoforo
01-14-2012, 8:34 PM
"Is the entire form hollow?"

It is. Wouldn't do to have it solid although it would be a bit easier! With all that weight on the top it would probably end up looking like a droopy sunflower...

"...the top seems fairly exaggerated..."

Actually, the whole thing seems fairly exaggerated...

"...is this your tallest?"

At 19", yes it's the tallest one. I think I am reaching the practical limit although it is not nearly as tall as the record holder!

Russell Eaton
01-14-2012, 9:00 PM
Another beauty David. It looks VERY fragile...but that is what is so appealing. Thanks for showing.

Tim Rinehart
01-14-2012, 9:45 PM
Wonderful piece David!

Sid Matheny
01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
A lot of work went into this one but it's just not my cup of tea.

Sid

Scott Hackler
01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Nice work David. How did you like working with the box elder? I thought that slab looked pretty solid but I have had a few pieces that I let get too spalted and they seemed a bit punky! Either way, if it was solid....there should be enough of it for several of these Amphoras.

John Keeton
01-15-2012, 6:25 AM
David, as are all the rest, this piece is done with superb skill and the elements come together well. The wood is very nice, as well, and contrasts perfectly with the stem.

This one is my least favorite, and I think that comes from the height and from the proportions between the bulb and the flare. They appear to be about the same height and I think some of the others work better when one is longer than the other.

However, it is a wonderful piece, very well done, and I am quite sure it will quickly be scooped up by a gallery!

Curt Fuller
01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Another beauty in the series. When I see each new piece I think to myself that I would get tired of turning the same thing so many times. But then when I look at some of my own turnings that are somewhat the same I realize how different each piece really is. I, and probably many others, would like to see this series photographed together in sort of a family photo.

David DeCristoforo
01-15-2012, 2:45 PM
"How did you like working with the box elder?"

Sweet wood. I was not able to get two forms out of the piece. The natural edge was on the side of the piece and I wanted to have that at the top, I "sectioned" the piece into thirds. Then I stacked two of those to make the body and that left one to make the base and the "embellishment". The wood was not "punky" at all.

Mark Hubl
01-15-2012, 2:54 PM
Two thumbs up. These forms are always interesting and so well done. A pleasure to gaze upon.